Cobra 2000

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

LadyMermaid
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Name: Mermaid

Cobra 2000

Post by LadyMermaid » Friday, 16 January 2015, 10:25 AM

Looks like Cobra 2000 is the hot seller for eBay (cb radios). I just purchased my second unit. I never thought I would own two but I enjoy the one I have. It seems like I am starting to have a collection...2 of everything. Not sure what that is about. But I know I can always sell equipment if I need to. I read that a Cobra 2000 with mods (i.e. extra freq, wattage) isnt worth as much as a unit without mods. Well, I will have both and time will tell which one I will keep. I cannot say the Cobra 2000 talks better than my other radios. I think I enjoy a base station oppose to a mobile radio being used as a base. Its nice to have options. I am trying to keep from buying more equipment as I dont want my set up looking like a radio equipment mess. :geek:

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4

Re: Cobra 2000

Post by TheCBDoctor » Saturday, 17 January 2015, 10:51 AM

LadyMermaid wrote:Looks like Cobra 2000 is the hot seller for eBay (cb radios). I just purchased my second unit. I never thought I would own two but I enjoy the one I have. It seems like I am starting to have a collection...2 of everything. Not sure what that is about. But I know I can always sell equipment if I need to. I read that a Cobra 2000 with mods (i.e. extra freq, wattage) isnt worth as much as a unit without mods. Well, I will have both and time will tell which one I will keep. I cannot say the Cobra 2000 talks better than my other radios. I think I enjoy a base station oppose to a mobile radio being used as a base. Its nice to have options. I am trying to keep from buying more equipment as I dont want my set up looking like a radio equipment mess. :geek:
Good afternoon LadyMermaid,

In its day the Cobra 2000 GTL was and probably still is the best radio ever made. It came with all, the bells and whistles. The frequency counter is what made the radio. You are right about an unmodified Cobra 2000 GTL being worth more to a collector than one with holes drilled in it and crazy modifications. There are a few radios that where made which are very similar to the 2000, but have different features, such as clocks, or single conversion receivers on AM. (The Cobra 142 GTL for instance). The Cobra 148 GTL is the exact same radio except for the frequency counter and the PLL chip. I save them for parts to repair Cobra 2000 GTL.

The last one made was in the Philippines in April of 1994. I know what you mean about collecting certain radios. I used to collect Cobra 2000 GTLs until I started collecting the Uniden HR-2510. I have too many, but I can't get myself to part with any of them.

Here is a link to my website with information about the Cobra 2000 GTL as well as other radios.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxroot/page_10783.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxroot/page_10782.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for keeping the older radios in service. All of the radios made today in China and Malaysia are junk.

Respectfully

Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rabbit Ears
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President HR2600
Antenna: Sirio 27 tornado
Name: Cliff
Home Phone: 307-674-1541

Post by Rabbit Ears » Saturday, 17 January 2015, 12:44 PM

I've got quite a collection of President Grant (4-button) units. Can not go wrong with these units....basically the same radio as the 2000.

Just picked up a President Jackson *silver face*

Read the Constitution.
FREEDOM and USA FOREVER
STAND UP FOR THE FLAG!!!

President Grant DX four button (1983 model) PC-999 *in my truck*
President HR2600 (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2510 (backup base) *solar powered*
K40 magmount
Microphones: Turner +3 *two of them* Turner Super Side Kick
Palomar TX-150 amp
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded)
BIRD 43P
Sirio Tornado 27 5/8 wave antenna

LadyMermaid
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Name: Mermaid

Post by LadyMermaid » Sunday, 18 January 2015, 20:45 PM

Thanks all.

I am waiting for a 2000 to be delivered -- yes it has mods.
I actually wanted it because of the mods.

Since that purchase, a few more have come my direction with no mods.

I dont know if I want to spend more money on these radios

After speaking with a long time gent friend here in L.A., he has 3 Cobra 2000s. I guess I would not look too crazy buying a third. This would of course be with the intention of parting with one of these radios. I am satisfied with the one I talk on. If I get a good deal on the one I am looking at, I will buy. For the one I recently purchased, I didnt get a good deal but I like to know I can get my money back if it comes to that.

I will play around with the radios to see which one I really like. I do not want to be a Cobra 2000 hog or a CB radio junk yard - working radios.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic