The New Ranger 2970N2 & N4

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

captjk
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Yaesu FT 900
Antenna: Sirio Gain Master
Name: kirk
Cell Phone: 9169606191

The New Ranger 2970N2 & N4

Post by captjk » Saturday, 03 October 2015, 8:14 AM

I'm hearing the 'new' Ranger 2970 N2 and N4's can no longer be expanded to 11 mtrs. I had a 2970 DX several years ago (good radio) and got rid of it. Now I want to install one of these in my 4x4 and use on 11 mtr. in the back country. If they can no longer be moded,, very disappointing, I love this radio and will be looking for a good used one.

thanks for any feedback

captjk

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Re: The New Ranger 2970N2 & N4

Post by MDYoungblood » Saturday, 03 October 2015, 9:41 AM

Hmm, I haven't heard that or had a new one to mod. Could be they didn't put the e-chip in some of the boxes, they did change manufacturer's several months ago and a new batch of radios sat in LA/San Diego harbor during the longshoreman's strike.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Radio: President HR2600
Antenna: Sirio 27 tornado
Name: Cliff
Home Phone: 307-674-1541

Post by Rabbit Ears » Saturday, 03 October 2015, 12:39 PM

I thought that all you had to do was to plug in an e-chip, and DONE!!
Read the Constitution.
FREEDOM and USA FOREVER
STAND UP FOR THE FLAG!!!

President Grant DX four button (1983 model) PC-999 *in my truck*
President HR2600 (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2510 (backup base) *solar powered*
K40 magmount
Microphones: Turner +3 *two of them* Turner Super Side Kick
Palomar TX-150 amp
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded)
BIRD 43P
Sirio Tornado 27 5/8 wave antenna

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Saturday, 03 October 2015, 13:47 PM

It is a "buyer beware" market, some stores/shops remove the e-chip from the boxes so they can charge for the mod, none of the sites sponsors do that but do charge if you want them to do the mod, a call to one of them would answer this question.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

captjk
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by captjk » Saturday, 03 October 2015, 18:22 PM

MDYoungblood wrote:Hmm, I haven't heard that or had a new one to mod. Could be they didn't put the e-chip in some of the boxes, they did change manufacturer's several months ago and a new batch of radios sat in LA/San Diego harbor during the longshoreman's strike.

3's

Greg

I believe the e chip was for the older models,, I've googled Ch. Mods for the he new N2 and N4 and find nothing. I know the 20012 - 2013 models used jumpers, rumor i heard, ch mods for new models are not possible.. I've sent emial questions to a few export sellers, but never got a responce from any. I may go with a Galaxy but last one i had drifted on SSB like crazy..

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL » Sunday, 04 October 2015, 2:48 AM

Look at the optima mk3, president Lincoln 2, or Stryker 955HP for a decent SSB radio. If you do SSB most of the time might want to look into something like an Icom 718 or Alinco sr8t. You can find used ones now for 275-350. And a new Stryker 955hp will run about $400 or so. The other 2 radios are between $250-$300. The only issue with getting a radio like the Icom which are HF radios is the AM side is not very good on most of them. They are built for SSB and don't drift like a galaxy that is for sure. But we are talking about 2 different types of radios as you can't really compare an export radio to a HF radio for SSB use anyway. JMO. And besides, I would skip the 2970 anyway and use a radio and amp for getting more power. Way less heat at the actual radio. And with an external amp if the amp takes a dump you're not totally out of the game with a separate radio. Again, JMHO. The uniden 980 and a TNT 350hd would be a better option and cost less than the 2970. They do well on SSB and with the amp you will get about 200 watts out of the amp and it will be clean. To each his own, but it seems as RCI has gone south with thier QC lately and haven't brought anything new to the table in quite a while. I can't believe that the radios can't be made to transmit on 11m, but maybe they just don't want to advertise it that way for sake of the FCC. Who knows. I would be weary about buying one that just came out as well as normally these will have issues or could have issues. We the consumer are truly the beta testers!! Anyway, keep us updated as to what you do. Good luck.

Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Radio: President HR2600
Antenna: Sirio 27 tornado
Name: Cliff
Home Phone: 307-674-1541

Post by Rabbit Ears » Sunday, 04 October 2015, 6:46 AM

Get yourself a President Lincoln II. Safe bet for current production units!

BUT..... I sure am tickled about the HR2510 I just had modded and overhauled. I call it my lil' pit bull.
Read the Constitution.
FREEDOM and USA FOREVER
STAND UP FOR THE FLAG!!!

President Grant DX four button (1983 model) PC-999 *in my truck*
President HR2600 (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2510 (backup base) *solar powered*
K40 magmount
Microphones: Turner +3 *two of them* Turner Super Side Kick
Palomar TX-150 amp
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded)
BIRD 43P
Sirio Tornado 27 5/8 wave antenna

captjk
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by captjk » Sunday, 04 October 2015, 13:26 PM

1206FL wrote:Look at the optima mk3, president Lincoln 2, or Stryker 955HP for a decent SSB radio. If you do SSB most of the time might want to look into something like an Icom 718 or Alinco sr8t. You can find used ones now for 275-350. And a new Stryker 955hp will run about $400 or so. The other 2 radios are between $250-$300. The only issue with getting a radio like the Icom which are HF radios is the AM side is not very good on most of them. They are built for SSB and don't drift like a galaxy that is for sure. But we are talking about 2 different types of radios as you can't really compare an export radio to a HF radio for SSB use anyway. JMO. And besides, I would skip the 2970 anyway and use a radio and amp for getting more power. Way less heat at the actual radio. And with an external amp if the amp takes a dump you're not totally out of the game with a separate radio. Again, JMHO. The uniden 980 and a TNT 350hd would be a better option and cost less than the 2970. They do well on SSB and with the amp you will get about 200 watts out of the amp and it will be clean. To each his own, but it seems as RCI has gone south with thier QC lately and haven't brought anything new to the table in quite a while. I can't believe that the radios can't be made to transmit on 11m, but maybe they just don't want to advertise it that way for sake of the FCC. Who knows. I would be weary about buying one that just came out as well as normally these will have issues or could have issues. We the consumer are truly the beta testers!! Anyway, keep us updated as to what you do. Good luck.
Lots of good recommendations 1206FL.. I've been eyeing the President Lincoln 2 and the Stryker. BTW, **Non Sponsor** sent me an IM this morning saying the new 2970 are modifiable when they work em.. Of course he didn't tell me how but at least sounds like they can be done. I like your idea of separating Amp and Radio, only problem, my Jeep JK does not offer room to do both. I've got a Yaesu FT-900. Large and heavy radio & no room to mount in my JK. It's an o.k radio, just not strong on modulation. Probably will dust it off and use for base unit. I defiantly like the Lincoln 2,, nice and compact.. and pretty close to the 2970.. I'ts been a lot of years since i've been on air, got itch back and cant wait to get back on...

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Sunday, 04 October 2015, 16:44 PM

Post a pic once you install whatever you get. I mounted my radio on the top center of the dash on my tj but then again it is a trail rig for the most part. I'm torn on my jk and haven't put a rig in it yet. I was considering an overhead mount that would have it up and out of the way. Out on the roads recently I spotted a jk with a small uniden, not much bigger than the lincoln ii probably is, on the left side dash just above the cluster. The only kicker with the overhead mount to me is that it kinda takes the open air look out when rolling topless and doorless but you could house an amp up there if you got a little creative. In my tj I have my amps on a big deck behind the rear seat that quickly disconnects for barefoot trail use so I have room for other gear.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

captjk
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by captjk » Sunday, 04 October 2015, 20:02 PM

drdx wrote:Post a pic once you install whatever you get. I mounted my radio on the top center of the dash on my tj but then again it is a trail rig for the most part. I'm torn on my jk and haven't put a rig in it yet. I was considering an overhead mount that would have it up and out of the way. Out on the roads recently I spotted a jk with a small uniden, not much bigger than the lincoln ii probably is, on the left side dash just above the cluster. The only kicker with the overhead mount to me is that it kinda takes the open air look out when rolling topless and doorless but you could house an amp up there if you got a little creative. In my tj I have my amps on a big deck behind the rear seat that quickly disconnects for barefoot trail use so I have room for other gear.

-drdx
drdx,,, I just noticed i cant post pictures yet because i'm a new member. I'm fabricating (out of fiberglass) a mount that fits into the tray on top of the dash. Should have this done next weekend.. will figure out a way to get some pictures to you.. The mount will be a 'drop in' and held in place by weight. Also using the Rugged Ridge Antenna mount for the rear spare tire for the antenna. Going to weld a two foot extension tube to the mount and use a Sirio 5000 Trucker Antenna. This will put the load above the roof line.. I meet a guy in Tahoe that did this same setup on his JK and it works well.. I'll defiantly get some pictures out and share my plan.

captjk

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Monday, 05 October 2015, 16:40 PM

Be careful on the "held in by weight" approach. Just like anything else in a vehicle that stuff turns into a lethal object in the event of an accident or even a gentle offroad mishap. I'm amazed how many operators have extra batteries and amps bungee corded down and offroad rigs with loose recovery gear. Bolt it all down, it is safer and makes it harder to quickly steal. On the spare tire deal you will want to make sure the ground is good but it sounds like you already know what to do.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

captjk
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by captjk » Friday, 09 October 2015, 17:21 PM

drdx wrote:Be careful on the "held in by weight" approach. Just like anything else in a vehicle that stuff turns into a lethal object in the event of an accident or even a gentle offroad mishap. I'm amazed how many operators have extra batteries and amps bungee corded down and offroad rigs with loose recovery gear. Bolt it all down, it is safer and makes it harder to quickly steal. On the spare tire deal you will want to make sure the ground is good but it sounds like you already know what to do.

-drdx
you have a good point not to ignore There is a mounting point (not sure if you are familiar) under the tray i can use. The stock AM/FM radio mount is secured by the screw under the rubber tray, which pulls out very easy. Since you brought this up, i can easily use that secure point with a longer screw from top of my fabricated mount Just got to get in in align. I wont have to use the BB Shot for weight with this approach. Hopefully i'll get this done over the weekend and get you some pictures. BTY - I ordered up a Stryker 955 for the mobile. Still might get the 2970 or 2510 for a base and looking at the TS DX550V for a little hop..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic