talk back

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

talk back

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

I have a cobra 25 I have talk back in it and its squealing. if I change the resistor to one that is not so load will that help with my squealing.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: talk back

Post by MDYoungblood »

If you are talking about the resistor mod jumping across the contacts of the ext speaker/PA jack, yes increase the value and the talkback volume will decrease. Usually it squeals because the mic is too close to the radio's speaker. I also add a switch by lifting one leg of the resistor and that lets you turn it off.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

if you are using a stock or power mic it will pick up the audio from the talk back and squeal. if you have to run talk back to here how you sound just use a noise cancelling mic. if you turn the mic gain down will help with the audio squeal also, but you lose audio out from the radio. do as MDY suggested and put a switch in it to turn it off. . talk back is just to listen how the radio sounds if you you have echo on it so you can adjust it. then turn it off.
my brother-in-law was a truck driver and he wanted to hear his self on talk back all the time. never could figure out why he wanted it on all the time. most export radios have echo and talk back and you have a built in switch to turn it off after you set the out put of how the radio sounds.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

I have a built in switch just like to hear it lol
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

So this is an aftermarket talkback kit, should have said that in the first post. The kits and the radio mod just let you hear what the audio section of the radio sounds like, not what is being transmitted, I don't care for them for that reason. If it's the kit the squeal could be coming from a poorly aligned radio feeding RF into the unshielded talkback components.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

Post by jon6667 »

i dont get why everyone wants talkback.