HELLO CBRT!! PROSTAR 400 SSB OVERHEATING IN IDLE & TX HELP?

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Dave made
Radio: Galaxy 33 hml2

HELLO CBRT!! PROSTAR 400 SSB OVERHEATING IN IDLE & TX HELP?

Post by 704 »

Good morning and hope all is well! sorry i hadnt been on here alot has changed! just working 8)
Ive learned alot here and i'm going to learn more, i've been on my radio talking all over! since I started here!

anyways my prostar 400 (double clarifier orange face) good rig! channel mods ns which but bands A-J..
except in idle (reading mail on ssb) ESPECIALLY TX I noticed that it starts getting really hot on the back RIGHT I have a habit of feeling The back of a radio, when i'm talking on it, (MUDDUCK TECHNIQUE) and in my truck or house as soon as I switch to ssb i see the light dims a hair and the back right gets almost hot then cools down when i switch to am or fm any thoughts?
any help would be appreciated i got it off ebay and it worked fine and now idk why its doing this it did it on am i turned the power down to drive my amp and that fixed it but i don't like messing w ssb pots or any for that matter,
I will if i have too!

any help is appreciated THANKS FELLOW CBRT!

704 CHARLOTTE NC JUST GOT DOWN!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: HELLO CBRT!! PROSTAR 400 SSB OVERHEATING IN IDLE & TX HELP?

Post by MDYoungblood »

Has the radio had a NPC mod done or is SSB mode a diode is causing the finals to heat up, maybe the bias is messed up. That radio is the same as the Magnum 257, can search it to see if you can find one with the same problem.

3's

Greg

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Dave made
Radio: Galaxy 33 hml2

Post by 704 »

THANKS MDYOUNGBLOOD GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!

NS what the npc (mod kit?) is i got it off ebay, i got it few months ago from ebay, and it didnt do it then but iyt seems like it does it as soon as i switch to usb or lsb and it gets hot in 15 seconds am fm is fine am did do it until i turned the power back to run an amp but it shouldnt do it on idle when i switch mode TO USB & LSB and idle unless like u said carrier for ssb is scredew up ns ill check on it thanks and hope all is well. thanks!!!!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

You are down in the "Good Time Gang" area, think they run channel 28AM, bet one could point you to a good tech.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department