General Radiotelephone SB-72

This forum is dedicated to discussions about tube radios and tube amplifiers.
Mangie
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

General Radiotelephone SB-72

Post by Mangie »

I have a General Radiotelephone SB-72 that is mint except for the mike jack. It was converted to a 4-pin. I would like to have a service manual for it. I was told that there was very few SB-72's made. None of the didtributors in my part of the country (eastern US) had ever seen one. I spoke with one of the designers of this radio two different times (30) years ago and he said he would send me a manual but it never happened. I would appreciate any information anyone might have that could help find one. Thanks.. Mangie
tulmkr
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: PDL II
Radio: Many

Re: General Radiotelephone SB-72

Post by tulmkr »

That is a really fantastic radio! The audio quality of the generals are surpassed only by the old vikings, and thats a close race. I have a gorgeous super m/c-11 that is basically the same except for the ssb. I will look through my stuff and see what I can find for you. Is there something specific wrong with it? There isnt much that can be done to improve them other than swapping out a few of the tubes for higher quality Mullards.

Wednesday, 06 March 2013, 19:55 PM

I looked through everything I had on the generals, and found nothing on that radio. If you are having an issue with something I may be able to help, or steer you to someone who can.
galaxy95Tman
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by galaxy95Tman »

Sounds like a real Gem! Got any pics?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello Mangie,
Welcome to the forum. That is a unusual radio, wonder how many are still around. I found a pic on the web;

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department