retubing a phantom

This forum is dedicated to discussions about tube radios and tube amplifiers.
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

retubing a phantom

Post by bluemeanie »

I have been considering this for a while. was looking at a ten tube D A Amp. Could you rewire it to use ten of the EL 519 ie 6kg6 ie 6P45S. i have a RM Italy that uses two EL 519 and got two of the Russian versions and they work great. You can buy them for roughly 11 bucks apiece. The phantoms look like they use one tube for driver and another for finals. What would happen to use all same tube?
'Doc

Re: retubing a phantom

Post by 'Doc »

Re-doing an amplifier for different tubes is certainly possible, but is it worth while? I don't think so unless the tube(s) used are more 'robust' than the tube(s) that they are replacing. All of the tubes mentioned do not have a very high plate dissipation rating. That means you would have to user enough of them to get any increase in power, or the same output power as before. Why not use a tube that's made to transmitting, that has a fairly high plate dissipation? They certainly won't be as cheap, but you wouldn't need near as many either. That price thingy was the only reason the 'smaller' tubes were ever used to start with. Once their price went up passed a certain point, they just aren't worth the bother.
It's your choice, do whatever you think you ought'a.
- 'Doc

It's also not a simple unplug and plug in a new one thingy, figure on redoing the circuitry also. Hope you know how to do that too.
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor

Post by bluemeanie »

You might even have to replace sockets. Not sure that would be necessary. There are quit a few of these old amps out there and to replace a set of tubes is more than an operating amp is worth. Just thinking of alternatives to scrapping one.
Big blue
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lets Do This!
Antenna: M103C & Colossal 10K
Radio: Yaesu FT990; Home Brew 3-500Z

Post by Big blue »

Mark: What kind of shape is your Phantom in? Are weak tubes the only issue? What kind of output are you getting with your current tubes?
721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW »

I've used those Svetlana 6P45S tubes, also called EL509. They are a very robust tube, and will stand a lot of abuse. They were all made in the 1980s though, 2 of the several I've bought flashed over immediately. They work great in an RM Italy KLV 1000.
Sorry, I don't know if they will be an exact replacement for your existing tubes though.
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor

Post by bluemeanie »

At this time I don't have the Phantom. I have run onto one in the past and passed it up because it needed tubes. By the time you buy a full set of tubes a Heathkit SB2?? is setting on the bench. Was just wondering if it came my way again for the right dollars if was worth the effort. I have a Jumbo amp, same as KLV 400 that I put a set of the svetlana tubes in they work great.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

Figure the cost of re-tubing the thing, deduct that from the asking price. If the results is a fairly 'acceptible' number, have at it. It it results in a negative number, ask the seller how much he'll give for you to take it off his hands.
- 'Doc
liquidh8
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: Cobra 148GTL

Post by liquidh8 »

FWIW, I started to do this exact same conversion over the winter. With help from some very knowledgeable members here. I bought the 6p45C tubes, ceramic sockets, rewired it all. the I had to steal a few tubes for an amp repair, and I never finished it.

I started with a 10 tube phantom, dual stage, tube key-up.

I have been using a KLV1000 I got for a good price, and run some well abused 6p45c's getting 1k PEP.

As was said, it can be done. I had too many projects on my plate to finish it. I may revisit it, or may just sell the amp as parts.
FLEX 231 Southeastern PA Usually 27.385 LSB, 27.425 LSB, or whatever else I can talk on.
Radios: 858 Washington, 8719 Washington, Galaxy Saturn, HR2510's, TS-5010, 148GTL.
Amps: KLV1000, Eagle 515, KLV550, Palomar 225.
Antennas: Imax 2000, Wilson 5000.
Mics: Homebrew amplified Compressor, D104M6B's with tone mod.
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor

Post by bluemeanie »

I have not run across another amp. Every time I turn my set on I fire up my Jumbo amp with the 6P45's in it. It has done great and output has not changed at all with the use. Can't help but feel the Russian tubes are tough. Just wish it had four instead of two in it :biggrin:
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

bluemeanie wrote: Just wish it had four instead of two in it :biggrin:
Punch some holes in the chassis add a couple more tubes in parallel and change the power transformer to one that can supply more current then you'll have one.