Basic Comp Questions

This section is dedicated to Keydown Competition rigs and high-performance competition base setups. If you have questions or information on how to maximize a competition setup, this is the perfect place to share and discuss!
linx

Basic Comp Questions

Post by linx »

Me and a couple buddies here at work have been thinking about getting an old 'burben or something and making a competition style rig. I have some questions for the comp guys on here.

#1. Do you guys have any sponsors? Like car stereo guys have? I have seen car stereo competition people where these guys don't pay for anything but the vehicle and the wrench work and have a sponsor that buys all the equipment for them. I didn't know if radio competitions were the same with this.

#2. How do you get started and get on the roster at these shows? I would think these things would be hush hush to keep uncle sam off people's backs. How do you know when/where the competitons are going to be?

#3. Do you win anything other than bragging rights? If you can't get a sponsorship, you're looking at a vehicle, alts, radio, amps, amps, amps, more alts, bird's, comp antennas, not even the mention coax and awg wire. Looks pretty high dollar just to see who has the biggest bawls.

#4. What are the classes and restrictions? I'm running a 6v battery on my setup to get 18-20v out of this old junk, and I've heard that isn't legal, so what's the restrictions and all?

If we set one up, we're looking at making a dedicated vehicle to keep the wear and tear down on the equipment.

I'm sure ww228 will chime in, but thanks for any information by anyone. I don't usually start questioning threads, but maybe this information will be good for anyone just curious.
Visegrip
Donor
Donor

Post by Visegrip »

While I'm not interested in building a comp vehicle.

I do find these to be good questions, ones that I've often wondered about myself.

Best of luck to you and your buddies
ww228kidd
Donor
Donor

Re: Basic Comp Questions

Post by ww228kidd »

linx wrote:Me and a couple buddies here at work have been thinking about getting an old 'burben or something and making a competition style rig. I have some questions for the comp guys on here.

#1. Do you guys have any sponsors? Like car stereo guys have? I have seen car stereo competition people where these guys don't pay for anything but the vehicle and the wrench work and have a sponsor that buys all the equipment for them. I didn't know if radio competitions were the same with this. Well, yeah if you get all of your equipment, and let the same person help set you up, and advertize with the logo on the side,....they tend to cut you some slack on price.

#2. How do you get started and get on the roster at these shows? I would think these things would be hush hush to keep uncle sam off people's backs. How do you know when/where the competitons are going to be? you show up and pay the entry fee, you can get the dates from this site or ask, plus when you show up at any break, they hand you flyers for the upcoming breaks

#3. Do you win anything other than bragging rights? If you can't get a sponsorship, you're looking at a vehicle, alts, radio, amps, amps, amps, more alts, bird's, comp antennas, not even the mention coax and awg wire. Looks pretty high dollar just to see who has the biggest bawls. yes you win more than just bragging rights....you win the awards and the pot, plus the side betting too...lol.. most of the time you can build what you run or get help, and build the truck yourself or with freinds...most of the time it is more than just one man involved in the big dawgs..more like a race team
#4. What are the classes and restrictions? I'm running a 6v battery on my setup to get 18-20v out of this old junk, and I've heard that isn't legal, so what's the restrictions and all? yes it is legal, in the big breaks...you better overvolt or you will be wasting your time.....some of the small local breaks have the classes broke up in to two types...overvolt and stock, they do check your stuff....then for the broke down class, you have 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16 pill, and DC sky...they do take covers off to check pill count.... then you have the AC classes too...
If we set one up, we're looking at making a dedicated vehicle to keep the wear and tear down on the equipment.

I'm sure ww228 will chime in, but thanks for any information by anyone. I don't usually start questioning threads, but maybe this information will be good for anyone just curious.