Dual Alternators On A Big Truck

This section is dedicated to Keydown Competition rigs and high-performance competition base setups. If you have questions or information on how to maximize a competition setup, this is the perfect place to share and discuss!
Brotherman
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Dual Alternators On A Big Truck

Post by Brotherman »

Buying an 07 peterbilt and when the time comes I want to run a separate charging system for an AC box. KIdd do guys do this down your way?
ww228kidd
Donor
Donor

Post by ww228kidd »

I havent installed any AC boxes in a rig. But there is a few guys on the road that have. Big Bill from NC does most of the welding bracket for alternators. It should be the same as a suburban if you have room for the transformers and alternator. And I hope that you own the rig, because there will be alot of grounding and cutting to run wires and meters switches.
Brotherman
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Brotherman »

Cool! It'll be the banks truck until I pay it off. It has a sleeper, so I'm good with room. Not sure how the electronics will react to the RF though. I didn't think about that part. :shock:
ww228kidd
Donor
Donor

Post by ww228kidd »

i would start off with a good 8pill to see how it acts...
Pillpopper
Donor
Donor

Post by Pillpopper »

Use that 8 pill as a baby driver 8) HAHA..
linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by linearone »

that wont be easy to run an ac box in a big truck, you wont be able to get the rpm on the alts when you need them.
dc will be your cup of coffee
Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 »

I OWN A 2002 379 PETERBILT. IT HAS A 600 CAT. I'VE TOYED WITH THE IDEA OF AN A/C BOX TOO. THE RPM ISSUE IS ONE THING. THE FIRST 100000 MILES I WOULDNT DO ANYTHING LIKE THAT BECAUSE IT WILL VOID ALL YOUR INITIAL PACCAR WARRANTY. ALSO THAT MUCH RF MAY VERY WELL HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE ENGINES COMPUTER.
NOW THERE IS AN ALTERNATOR THAT YOU CAN BUY BUT IT VERY VERY PRICEY. I GOT ONE OFF A WRECKED FIRE TRUCK . THEY ARE SPECIAL PURPOSE ALTENATORS BUILT TO WITHSTAND THE BIG AMP DEMAND THAT A FIRETRUCK WITH ALL THE LIGHTS AND SIRENS ETC THAT THEY USE. I HAVE A 350 AMP MYSELF AND AM TOLD THERE IS A 400AMP MODEL ALSO. YOU PRETTY MUCH WANNA FIND A USED ONE AND HAVE NEW BRUSHES ETC. YOU ALMOST HAV VE TO PUT A 2ND MORTGAGE ON YOUR HOUSE TO BUY ONE OUTRIGHT ($2G's list). I'VE BEEN RUNNING A 2X4 FOR A WHILE BUT I NOW PUTTING A 2X8 IN AND ANOTHER MAN I KNOW ALSO RUNS ONE AND HAS NO ISSUES WITH HIS AS FAR AS RF ISSUES ETC.
OH .....WHERE YOU FROM?? LANCASTER ?? EAST EARL?? ?? I GOT FAMILY THERE AND USE TO LIVE THERE MANY YEARS BACK.
Get Hacked and be heard like crap.......from 15Mhz-60Mhz
linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by linearone »

no, you cant run an ac box at least not well in a big truck, im sure it could happen but it wont be the baddest. besides you would have to shift into neutral to use it,
you will have to stick with DC. the biggest affordable dc alt is the leece neville 4890JB 320 amps, you can externally regulate it if you like. yeah you can get biger ones like electrodynes but no one can afford to buy them new.
Brotherman
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Brotherman »

Watermelonman, I never did get that truck, a buddy of mine was selling it at a good price but the banks were being snooty. I live in honey brook... for now. Where are you at and is that your truck in your avatar? You need to join l a r g e c a r m a g . c o m. :D

Linearone, I've heard a few guys in DX running an AC box in their big truck. I guess they could have been telling stories... for get the shifting in neutral, thats what the clutch pedal is for, come ohwan