What is a "Competition" CB

This section is dedicated to Keydown Competition rigs and high-performance competition base setups. If you have questions or information on how to maximize a competition setup, this is the perfect place to share and discuss!
Approach
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

What is a "Competition" CB

Post by Approach »

My friend told me he has a "Connex 3300-HP Competition Radio." What does the word "Competition" mean? Does it mean that it's tuned up a little? Is it different than a regular Peak & Tune?

TY
dud muck
Donor
Donor

Re: What is a "Competition" CB

Post by dud muck »

Approach wrote:My friend told me he has a "Connex 3300-HP Competition Radio." What does the word "Competition" mean? Does it mean that it's tuned up a little? Is it different than a regular Peak & Tune?

TY
thats BS.

Usually a standard CB, such as cobra 25/29 is used for competition because they take place on regular CB channel.
Also a single final radio drives most amplifiers more easily.
You really don't want to use an expensive CB for a competition, because of the risk of frying the radio.
All of the competition is in the amplifier, usually they try to volt up the DC power on those things to 18 volts or more, because they don't care if they sound clean, its all about putting out the strongest signal.
Unlimited power permitted on CH1 to CH27 as per FCC CFR 47 part 18: 18.305(a) and 18.301
FalseHope
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by FalseHope »

I've been looking at the radioactive website and they say they build competition radios. I don't get it. I've never seen anyone use any of those radios in any competition.
outlawmobile

Post by outlawmobile »

It would be my guess that this fellas competition Connex probably has had some work done over and above a standard peak and tune.It could possibly have had the finals volted to get more out of it.But as has already been said,most all competition keyers run either a Cobra 25/29 or some run Uniden 68/78 radios.Now if you want the real deal,I mean an honest to goodness competition radio check out Fatboys site.They sell plug and play competition Cobra radios.They have a variable dead key from .5 to 14 Bird watts I think it is,not sure what they swing to.Check it out,I know I got one on my wish list for sure.Shawn
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

Limited Edition All Chrome Cobra 29LTDSE With Chrome Mic
Cobra's 29LTDBC Black Chrome With Black Chrome Mic

Variable From .5 To 12 Watts RMS (Bird Model 43 No PEP Kit)
--Low end is adjustable from inside the radio

14 Watts PEP True Forward Power ( Bird Model 43 No PEP Kit)

130% Modulation With No Drop Off
--Tested With A 1khz Tone @1 Minute ( Hickok Analyzer)

Added--Heatsink On Audio IC ( Thermasink Heatsink - Cools Audio IC)
--10,000 uf 25 volt Electrolitic Capacitor on DC Jack ( Filters DC Line )

*2 Year Warranty Labor & Parts ( Dustin & R&R Communications, Inc.)
The Warranty Excludes The Final Transistor, Due To End Users Applying 18-24 volt dc.
The Warranty Also Excludes Shipping Charges To and From R & R Comm. (Est. $10.00-$15.00)

"Fat Boy" Approved Competition Radio (www.chargercharger.com)

Used By Many Top Keyers.

Quantity Discounts Available At 6 Or More.

FEATURES BENEFITS
FRONT MICROPHONE CONNECTOR CONVENIENT INSTALLATION
9 FOOT MICROPHONE CORD EASY REACH
.5 To 12 WATTS AM RF POWER
INSTANT CHANNEL 9 ACCESS TO EMERGENCY CHANNEL 9
ADJUSTABLE DYNAMIC CONTROL BOOST MODULATION
PA CAPABILITY MAY BE USED AS PUBLIC ADDRESS
DIMMER CONTROL ADJUST BRIGHTNESS OF LED's
SWITCHABLE NOISE BLANKER FOR INCREASE NOISE REDUCTION
ADJUSTABLE RF GAIN CONTROL ADJUSTS RECEIVER GAIN
SMOOTH VARIABLE RF OUTPUT CONTROL ADJUSTS RF POWER FROM .5 TO 12 WATTS
SWR METERING MONITORS ANTENNA PERFORMANCE
VARIABLE TALK-BACK ENABLES YOU TO HEAR YOUR OWN TRANSMISSION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
dodgem
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by dodgem »

Don't forget about DM CB Radio Products.

That guy has been building custom Comp. units for years, check out his units too.

Just Google him at DM CB Radio Products

LOL
silverstreak
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: silver streak
Radio: Galaxy,Ranger,Cobra

Post by silverstreak »

Real Comp Radios are the Cobra and Uniden line.The places that call the Exports Comp radios is just a selling name to make you think your getting this super radio.The local truck stop shop here sells the big comp radios nothing more than volted finals,coils spread,cap added on solder side and diode off of the regulator.The money spent on this stupid mod would be better spent on doing the real NPC Mod or buying a two pill AMP.Its funny because the so called Comp Export radios are never used with the Big boys in Key Downs.
All radios tuned by the best me.
the_junkie

Post by the_junkie »

silverstreak wrote:Real Comp Radios are the Cobra and Uniden line.The places that call the Exports Comp radios is just a selling name to make you think your getting this super radio.The local truck stop shop here sells the big comp radios nothing more than volted finals,coils spread,cap added on solder side and diode off of the regulator.The money spent on this stupid mod would be better spent on doing the real NPC Mod or buying a two pill AMP.Its funny because the so called Comp Export radios are never used with the Big boys in Key Downs.
Exactly, I was going to type basically what u just said. I have never seen, or heard of ANY of the big dogs running a connex "competition" radio. Just get a cobra 25 or 29, and a nice BOX! You'll walk all over them BIG RADIOS :twisted: :twisted:
silverstreak
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: silver streak
Radio: Galaxy,Ranger,Cobra

Post by silverstreak »

I remember a couple of years ago I had my Cobra 29 wich I did all up and was keying down going down the Highway and just about everybody would say thats the best and loudest Galaxy radio I have ever herd and when I told them it was a Cobra29LTD they laughed and said yea right.,lol
All radios tuned by the best me.
Flattop
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Flattop
Antenna: Home made Beam
Radio: Galaxy base

Post by Flattop »

Ok I have a galaxy 33 that has been set up for comp only it has monster audio keys 1 and swings 25 on a 43 bird not good for every day talker several of my friends have used it for comp and it is a killer. my brother inlaw ran a repo lot for a while a burban got repoed the guy came in and i bought his equipment don't know what has been done but it is loud
bettyboop

Post by bettyboop »

LOL
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
909 wis

Re: What is a "Competition" CB

Post by 909 wis »

question, why does my radio have a swing kit in it? I bought it online and a little confused. it's a older undien grant xl. what is the point of this swing kit?