Modulator in Galaxy Dx 73v?

This section is dedicated to Keydown Competition rigs and high-performance competition base setups. If you have questions or information on how to maximize a competition setup, this is the perfect place to share and discuss!
audio boy

Modulator in Galaxy Dx 73v?

Post by audio boy »

what are modulators and are they better than the swing kit? i want my radio to be loud, but not nasty sounding is this M-80 modulator off of ebay worth putting in my radio or will it sound nasty. the radio will drive a mod-v, then a sweet sixteen, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Modulator in Galaxy Dx 73v?

Post by Night Crawler »

The M-80 is a swing kit AKA a resistor and a capacitor.
audio boy

Post by audio boy »

would it make my radio sound crappy?
preacherman
Donor
Donor
Handle: Preacherman
Call Sign: K0EIR
Radio: Cobra 29, Lincoln, Magnum

Post by preacherman »

I wouldn't waste my money. That radio can be made to talk loud and clean
with plenty of forward swing.
Preacherman
Modifying Cobra 29's is my hobby.
audio boy

Post by audio boy »

ok thanks
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Hi audio boy

The Galaxy 73 is a radio that you will not find everyday. I see maybe 2 in a year. I would not modify the radio except for a peaking. It is a unique radio in the USA. I believe it is mostly found in Europe. That is the unit with the robot voice changer, correct? If so, Leave it alone it is a loud radio to begin with.

Have fun with it.
Respectfully as always,

Rick
audio boy

Post by audio boy »

yes my radio has four different robots, echo, and voice changer it's nicccce!!!
spider451
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by spider451 »

man those radios were not that rare i sold hundreds if not a few thousand of them and repaired even more. due to the fact not many people know how to work on them . i was sad to see the radio put out of production, but john and ray at galaxy repair said 2 many folks were confused due to eeprom(mainly) and surface mount parts(on the channel selecter) it took to much of their time fixin others mistakes. so they discontinued it also the m-80 will not work properly in ant 10 meter radio like these. u can change r 238 to 10k up to 56k it will sound good id stay between 10k & 22k but sum will still sound good at 56k.also when u find alot of these many folks never hooked up the duel watch or instant channel switch which is only a yellow wire and a green wire. wierd huh
audio boy

Post by audio boy »

yeh they are rare now a days im the only one in town with one at all
audio boy

Post by audio boy »

they were confused why, whoever decided to discontinue this radio should get slapped, whats the eeprom, and why did the channel sellector cause them to discontinue did they go out or somthing?