KLV 1000 with RCI-2980

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
RATROD

KLV 1000 with RCI-2980

Post by RATROD »

Does anybody have this combination of a RCI-2980 W/ KLV-1000? Having problems with modulation breaking up. I am a newbie to this AMP and do not have a manual for it. I'm running a D104 Night Eagle, RF power all the way down cranking 7 watts, is this to much for the KLV 1000? with the chip out for 11 meters I know this is a low drive amp but don't know how low the drive should be? Running a I-Max 2000 antenna 62 ft in the air so that should not be a issue.The Amp has not got the original set of tubes in it Don't remember the numbers on the 5 tubes but I know the 4 in the front are different the two on the left match but the two on the right are different but match each other, is this right? I am getting 500 watts when I key up according to my Dosy meter, Any Help would be very much Appreciated!!! Thanks RatRod
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Do you have another radio that has a lower dead key to try running into that amp. I honestly know nothing about tube equip. but just trying to brainstorm with ya.
KI4MSJ
Donor
Donor
Handle: Barnstormer
Radio: ICOM 7000

Post by KI4MSJ »

4w DK into the amp unless it is a high drive. What is the model number? there are I believe two different types. One high drive and one not. If you go to there site. RMItaly you can download the manual and get the specs on the amp.
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Here is a link to one I found online... I think the KLV-1000 P VIP is the Highdrive model at it states 60 watts in gets 700 out.

http://www.cbradio.cz/doc/_Ot ... p/info.pdf
RATROD

T

Post by RATROD »

J-570 wrote:Do you have another radio that has a lower dead key to try running into that amp. I honestly know nothing about tube equip. but just trying to brainstorm with ya.
AK295

Post by AK295 »

When you say "cranking 7 watts" does that mean dead keying 7 watts or swinging to 7 watts ?
RATROD

Dead Keyed watts

Post by RATROD »

AK295 wrote:When you say "cranking 7 watts" does that mean dead keying 7 watts or swinging to 7 watts ?
BigBopper

Post by BigBopper »

you are overdriving that amp it likes 3 watt deadkey
triple7wva

Post by triple7wva »

what tubes does it have in it? much have some pretty small tubes to take that low of a drive...jas
J-570

Post by J-570 »

ratrod, why do you keep quoting people and that's it?? I'm confused...
RATROD

Confused My self new to forum

Post by RATROD »

Well I hope I finally figured out how to post a reply to all that have answered my questions. Triple7WVG I did hook up a lower watt CB that deadkey at 4 watts solved the problem! I was over driving the amp with 7 watts, Thanks to everybody. RATROD.
J-570

Post by J-570 »

No problem glad you got it working right.
triple7wva

Post by triple7wva »

i was jus twondering what tubes are in it cuz i used to hit my 3 tuber with a 67watt swing and drive that into my 250b box....hell my 750 maco wouldnt key unless i hit it with atleast 50 watts jas
RATROD

Post by RATROD »

The stock tubes that originally come with this KLV-1000 are EL-519 that's not whats in it now, but I don't think it makes a difference on this KLV-1000 because it is a low drive tube amp compared to it Big brother the KLV-1000P which is a high drive amp. I am new to all of this and what I have learned is all from the Great advice from everybody on this forum! This amp the KLV-1000 is set up for 10 meters or if you pull the IC chip it will be set up for 11 meters and still produce about 700 watts maybe more but why push your luck! With the combinations that I have which is a RCI-2980 Powered by a KLV-1000 my problem originally was over modulation with the Great advice from this forum all I had to do was take my RCI-2980 from 7 watts DK to 3 watts DK and the problem was solved. Hope that answer your question and thanks for asking! IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN!!!!
Later RATROD
linx

Post by linx »

Hi there,

I was out of town, but I have a KLV1000 and will be happy to answer any questions you have. Low drive, yes. In fact, I run 1.5 watts into the bad boy, and let my radio swing as far as she'll go. Which is only about 35 watts on my RCI 2950 I use at home. About the tubes in these babys. The stock tubes are a foreign made EL519 and are junk. I replaced these with some american made EL519s, which were the same as 6KG6A. These tubes were a bit better. Max swing I could get out of them was 1000 watts. I wasn't satified b/c I had heard from some buddies that the amp was capable of 1500+. So, I started the search and found russian made Svetlana 6KG6 aka EL509 aka 6P45S. These tubes are what it's all about bro. With these tubes, which are about 3 times as thick any any American tube, my KLV1000 is swinging over 1500+ just talking. With an audio into the mic, it creeps up to almost 2000. I've tried a number of meters, and they all say the same thing. As far as getting max power, you want max swing. It's the same as any tube amp. Start out with the Load/Tune/Drive at 12:00 and adjust each one with a big AHHH or FOUR until you get max swing. 500 watts out of that box is unacceptable...even on low mine does almost a grand. If you need any help with it, just ask. There are some instructions on RM's website, but they are a joke. I have heard you can take out the driver tube, and it'll be the same as the KLV1000P, but am not sure. I never did any more research on taking that tube out since all my radios are low drive. Good luck!
RATROD

Post by RATROD »

Thanks Rob! Great information I will check into those Russian tubes. Being a newbie setting this amp up with out a manual or any knowledge was a nightmare but with the help of all the Great people on this forum we got done!
Later RATROD
linx

Post by linx »

No problem man. If ya need any help, just give us a shout. I've been told locally that I have one of the loudest, yet broadcast quality sounds, so if you get the amp and your radio dialed in right, you'll probably be like me and hold on to that amp forever.