I want a big CB radio! Where do I start?

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
SmallTruckBigRadio

Post by SmallTruckBigRadio »

Ask questions, think it through, and avoid the regret, and wasted money of getting the wrong equipment for what you really want to do. The advertisements do not tell you what the radio doesn't have.

Announce what you are trying to do on this forum. The folks on the forum will help you to steer clear of the tons of false information.
List the equipment you have already, and what you have tried before. It's helpful to us to know what your equipment background is.
Mention the vehicle you will be putting it on, and ask for help and comments. Equipment limitations vary from one vehicle to another, It's helpful to us to know whether you're driving a Kenworth or a Yugo....
The wiring and equipment advice is free on the CBRadioTalk forum, and there are no restocking fees for changed minds!

The comments and opinions that you receive on the CBRT forum can be scrutinized by hundreds of people, aka, other forum members. If you ask for advice from the guy behind the counter of most CB shops, you will simply be directed to what he has available in his inventory. Regardless of whether it' really good...Like a used car lot.

Any CB will transmit and receive "straight out of the box",
but,
all “out of the box radios” can be significantly improved by a good technician. THE TECHNICIAN THAT SETS UP YOUR RADIO WILL DIRECTLY AFFECT ITS PERFORMANCE ON TRANSMIT, RECEIVE, AND EVEN SOUND QUALITY!

Don’t buy a Yugo, with plans of going to the races, choose your radio chassis wisely. Weigh your options by looking at the most full-featured radios as a guide, to make sure you get all the options that are important to you, and learn what all the options do.
Beware: radio advertisements tell you what features are included, you have to pay close attention to notice what that radio does not have.
Just a few of the full featured radios to compare against, are the General Lee / General Washington, Connex 4600 Turbo, Galaxy 99V, Galaxy 45MP, Magnum S9, Superstar SS-158EDX, Stryker SR-440, and RCI 2950 DX, and each one of these has a different sound, and set of features.
Saying, “I don’t want, or need that feature” will trim dollars off the cost of the radio now, but wishing later, that you had gotten a feature can be very expensive in the form of "radio regret", and very heavy depreciation in used radio resale.

Many "high power setups" use a radio as a driver and a separate amplifier. Radios and amplifiers must be matched properly for the best performance. Ask before you buy.

A 5-watt "out of the box" radio can reach out for 5 miles or more on a clear day, and if the radio traffic is light.
But if that 5-watt radio tries to talk on channel 19 when it's busy, it may not get out more than a few feet. Most of the big sounding radios are doing 30 watts or more. Many are doing more than 200 watts.
A radio can sound big, because of a good mic and echo, and have low power, and only get out 5-10 miles,
and, a radio can sound plain & clear, and get out 15+ miles because of high power and no echo.

Caution: getting into higher power levels (more than 30 watts) requires special care and attention to “doing it right”, with power wiring and proper antenna installation for your vehicle.
Trying to go above 300 watts can bring more trouble than many people are willing to deal with, but if you enjoy shooting ducks with a 50-caliber machine gun :shock: , 400 watts and up can be very fun :twisted: .

The radio, microphone, amplifier, antenna, and "how the antenna is mounted to which vehicle", all work s together as a system. Give careful thought to each, and how they all work together.

Post your questions under the correct CBRT headings, and experience the FREE 8) , friendly, and sometimes comical help, of the CBRadioTalk Forum.

PS, don't be offensive. The moderators take their job seriously, and they will zap your post, and possibly your existence on the forum if you cause trouble. :shock:

Keep it clean, and enjoy! 8)
Last edited by SmallTruckBigRadio on February 23rd, 2009, 5:07 am, edited 8 times in total.
Mississippifrog

Post by Mississippifrog »

Smalltruck thats a good read with helpful information.Maybe one of the moderators will pin it at the top for you.
LordDragr

Post by LordDragr »

Consider it done
MudDuck

Post by MudDuck »

Hey SmallTruck, dont get a big radio just get a big amp....lol
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

Uniden Pro 510, on a 16 pill!

Remember a amplified mirror doesnt make you look better just bigger! LOL
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

How true that is.
SmallTruckBigRadio

Note to Newbies:

See above, for two of the biggest names in CB Radio, and Amplifiers.
MudDuck, and Mr.RadioActive
Last edited by SmallTruckBigRadio on October 25th, 2006, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
N.J. 124

Post by N.J. 124 »

The best place to start is a good antenna and coax
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

I agree with having a good antenna.
N.J. 124

Post by N.J. 124 »

10K or a Mr. Coily is a good way to go also get 213 coax
SmallTruckBigRadio

LET THE GREAT ADVICE BEGIN!
Last edited by SmallTruckBigRadio on October 25th, 2006, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
high_octan36

what wonders a good attenna can do

Post by high_octan36 »

i am running a wilson 5000 whit cobra 29 nw st whit peak and tune for now i am getting ready to hook up a brick it just mader time. but by the way i shot skip iow to album on that setup her just other night no **Censored** the bigest thing is to have your equipment setup correctly
Gixxer

Post by Gixxer »

Brick that bad dog up
Twist

Post by Twist »

its alla bout the radio regret. i like the read at the top lilbig, but ya left out the NorthStar. yeesh, even the FCC remembered it. Hey, anyone try out one of those northpoints??? if anyone gets the 150+/- dollar rig advertised at gijoes (provided they ever get off back order) i want to know what ya found...

other than that, nuthin to ad here... hehehe... ever notice the guy when you tell him "you need a good antenna" when he just got ya to replace the finals in that 300 dollar radio? then tell him to stick a coat hanger in the coax fitting for his HDTV and see how that works for him...
Bolt cutter
Donor
Donor

Post by Bolt cutter »

At what Watts do you get into the BIG RADIO game?
SmallTruckBigRadio

Bolt cutter wrote:At what Watts do you get into the BIG RADIO game?
Your DX 66V and the 250 should be doing you pretty well. I'm very happy that I stepped up from 250 watts to 500 watts. The SWP "Audio" from my General Lee, and RK56 mic, delivers satisfaction, for me, on a regular basis.
250 - 500 watts oughta serve you well on channel 19.
The downfall of your 66V is that it has small finals that aren't driving your amp to its full potential.
I think the 66V is probably only doing15-20 watts, so that your amp is probably only doing less than 200 watts. Your amp may need a radio swinging up to 35+ watts, to get it over 200 watts. Or, consider an amp that gives its max output with the 66V.
Mudduck, or Mr. RadioActive can set you up.
Is your 66V SuperWackPacked? Peaked and Tuned?

If you're talking about the "big radios" on channel 6 (The SuperBowl), then you're getting into the 1000's of watts, to even show up on the radar.
Bolt cutter
Donor
Donor

Post by Bolt cutter »

There has been some work done to the unit and amp. It is about 10 years old. It has had some check-up's and seems to be doing OK for the woods. Never have any trouble getting in touch with the troops.
But just again started to mess around the band again. Just want to be one of the guys on the power end for once. I really want loud and really clear. Allot of guys around my local area have loud radios but sound like they are always yelling into the mike and the mike is in there mouth.
On Friday, I ordered from RA the SWP LEE and MM. I was just wondering at what is the OK talking power,to kick but power. I will be in the 450 range. In the 450 range where will I be sitting on the normal power scale not the competition side.
Twist

Post by Twist »

:idea: OKIE DOKIE... Here goes my own views on the big radios... thus far with my limited equipment and money. I will give ya the dirt on three I have personally tested on my own watt meters (all on the same meter so take it as you see it)
These are all my own radios that I set up, with the exception of the Connex 3300 HP I got from sparky... his crew did the deed on that one and you will see, a well deserved kudos to him...

First the little guys with big thingies...

Cobra 29 ltd nw st and 25 ltd 30 to 40 watts (yeah they vary a bit with conditions) I set these both up with 2sc1969 finals and some extra caps here and there. spread some coils and adjusted them in for max mod and minimum distortion.

Next the Northstar 9600. 60 watts, unmodified. just peaked it out and have the tell tale "i am really a galaxy 99 in a tuxedo" feedback on talkback. You will find this is a pretty normal power expectation for most with this pcboard... most galaxy mobiles and several other brands. including the general lee and his brothers and the connex 3300's

the general lee i peaked got the same performance. right at 60 watts.

but the best power for last....

Sparkys Connex 3300hp... over 100 WATTS peak on the same meter, same mic, same antenna and same big battery (cause this baby will dust the weaker 12v regulated power supplies in about 3 seconds)

For extras, the connex 3300 is a missing a few, 10 khz+/-, Clarifier, no frequency counter... but in this case, the rebel flag and blue LED's kind of make up for that. The without question best looking rig i have. and loudest talking and farthest reaching. It DOES have a switch for talkback on/off. now that is such a no brainer that others missed. however, it really needs a dimmer, with the Blue led's, which i love, they are killers for night driving. Ok, the two are easy fixes, 10k can be added easy enough, as can adding a resistor or vr pot for the dimmer. One thing they should have done is put the 6 bands on one switch, instead they used a hi/lo toggle with a 3 position switch for 6. cool enough for me, once i wait out the warrentee, i have a 6 pos to replace it with, and can use that toggle for 10k... problem solved. and the frequency counter can be added using the standard plug on the back... SO there ya go. with a little effort, this one is giving you the most power bang for the buck, and the things you give up, well, they are in there, you just have to get em out to use...

a couple others on my bench are the Cobra 148 gtl, and the texas ranger 966. the 966 uses the earlier RCI Ranger 66 board (connex 4400) and has potential, you can easily add the extra final and get plenty of power... but the board is very sensitive to work... when you solder, there is more than normal popping of tiny solder balls and you have to be very careful not to miss any of them when you finish up. and when you start tweaking up the power, if you havent put on a heat sink, you will toast that first final, thats before you ever add the second. hit about 20 watts, and she started heating up on me... now, that seems odd when you can get more out of a cobra 25/29 without a heat sink... ok, potential, but there are much better choices for the same or only slightly more money and less work...
finally the cobra 148gtl... some will swear by em... about the same price range as the tr969 with mostly the same features. no place to add that extra final though. Honestly, most i have dealt with are a time bomb. they come with the bigger final, but you will be hard pressed to get 20 watts out of one. and there are weak resistors all over the board. and the killer, that mb8719 is going to die sometime somewhere... gauranteed. oddly, pretty much the same ic as is in the tr966... OK, Finally, if you really want to save bucks and get a radio that you have a future of adding power too... get the connex 3300 budget model, some call the export but really, it is the budget model... single final no heat sink. but as with the tr966, that can be added later. You would get better power, more reliable radio, with more perks, such as 6 bands and echo... plus they come in a variety of faceplates and colored leds if you go to the right shop,,, sparkys... (remember all this brown nosing cause i need radios repaired sparky)

In my opinion, if you dont care about the freq ctr, and +10,... get a couple hundred bucks, get on sparkys website and pick your favorite 3300hp. You will see these for less "initially" on other sites, til you add the peak and tune plus expansion. then sparky wins, but more, I will put his peak against anyones... a normal Peaking for this rig nets you about 60 watts as i said above... not sure what he did, but this baby rox and hard.

hows that cover it? as a post note, expect the same from the uniden 66/76..78 as from the cobra 25/29. and the grant will be the same as the 148gtl/2000gtl. pretty much skip the rest of em, cause they wont put out. and I have seen lots of power out of the cobra 200... nice looker too... Anyone want to let me know bout the Cobra 150, and overlooked 10 meter that has more options than the 148 and can be gotten for less money... thats a head scratcher there... 4 bands of 80(equiv to 8 bands on the galaxy99 and northstar9600... echo.. +10 etc. this one can be gotten for 100 +/- compared to the 150+/- on the 148... K nuff bout them snakes

hows that answer your question?
SmallTruckBigRadio

Bolt cutter wrote:There has been some work done to the unit and amp. It is about 10 years old. It has had some check-up's and seems to be doing OK for the woods. ...they are always yelling into the mike and the mike is in there mouth.
STBR responses in blue:
There has been some work done to the unit and amp. It is about 10 years old. It has had some check-up's and seems to be doing OK for the woods. Never have any trouble getting in touch with the troops. But just again started to mess around the band again. Just want to be one of the guys on the power end for once. I really want loud and really clear.
You ordered a SWP General Lee from RA. You will be Loud, Clear, and impressed. Especially if you get into the 400+ watt realm.

Allot of guys around my local area have loud radios but sound like they are always yelling into the mike and the mike is in there mouth.
I know the sound you are describing. I don't like it either.

On Friday, I ordered from RA the SWP LEE and MM.
I'm not sure what the MM is?
If Mike still has the General Lee, I recommend the optional variable talkback add-on. If you're into talkback at all. I love mine. Just something to consider.

I was just wondering at what is the OK talking power, to kick but power. I will be in the 450 range. In the 450 range where will I be sitting on the normal power scale not the competition side.
The SWP G-Lee will sound loud and dominating to anyone within a couple of miles. Going over 200 watts should extend that dominance to over 3 miles. If any of your buddies has a poor receive alignment on their radio, you may sound choppy, as their AGC circuit cries for mercy.
The big audio sound of the SWP G-Lee will be impressive on your existing 250 watt amp (I think that's what you said you have). You may well be at the top of the heap with that, and you won't have to spend any more money. What will be cool is the fact that you should be able to talk over them while using a calm clear voice. If your are doing 400+ watts, you'll be same as me. You'll need ICY Hot for your cheeks, because they will cramp up from smiling so much.
If you have the slightest notion that you might do a DaveMade amp, let Mike know to set up the extra low deadkey. Perhaps ask him to set up the General Lee's high setting for the correct deadkey for non-DaveMade amps?

Twist,
That's alot of cool info. I'm too lazy to do that much work inside the radio's. I've heard good stuff about Al at Sparky's.
Bolt cutter
Donor
Donor

Post by Bolt cutter »

WOW, sure didn't expect a response like that. Thank you for your time Twist and STBR.
All info as such is great.

Bolt Cutter
QuickSilver 112
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by QuickSilver 112 »

You could go ac in the mobile a bit costly but those big steel tubes rock!!!
bullet

Post by bullet »

I have a General Lee with TS667v and a 636L mike. I love the sound and the power. Everyone gives good feedback. If you what SSB General Lee is not the one to get. A good radio for both AM and SSB is rci2950. I may be changing. I miss my SSB. So be sure of what you want.
My General Lee has the radioactive treatment. It is great and Mike is a great guy to deal with.
You can ask him questions online though email daily.
Popcorn501

Post by Popcorn501 »

If you're talking about the "big radios" on channel 6 (The SuperBowl), then you're getting into the 1000's of watts, to even show up on the radar.

LMAO!!!! You must not talk on the bowl if you think it only takes only 1000's of watts to talk on there.You better start times that by at least 10,yes 10,000 watts at least if you want to run with the BIG BOYS on the bowl!!!!
frogman

Post by frogman »

N.J. 124 wrote:The best place to start is a good antenna and coax
thats true...the feedline and antenna are the backbone of a good talking system
Flattop
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Flattop
Antenna: Home made Beam
Radio: Galaxy base

Post by Flattop »

SmallTruck you nailed it thanks