ECHOMAX 2000

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
busman
Donor
Donor

ECHOMAX 2000

Post by busman »

ON THE ASTAIC ECHOMAX 2000 THERE ARE 2 LITTLE WHITE KNOBS IN THE BACK OF THE MIC. ONE IS A GAIN AND THE OTHER IS A VOLUME. ARE THESE FOR THE HEAD PHONES ONLY OR DO THEY EFFECT THE OUTPUT OF THE MIC TO.??? I THINK THERE FOR THE HEAD PHONES BUT IM JUST MAKING SURE.
TwentyTwo-Zero
Donor
Donor

Post by TwentyTwo-Zero »

It's been a while since I owned one, but if I remember correctly the gain is mic output (to the radio) and the volume (like you said) is for the headphones...
Save Your Money, Don't Go To The Show
And Don't You Eat That Yellow Snow...Frank Zappa
------------
WR0220 Washington State 38LSB
CPI • Cobra • Icom • Yaesu
busman
Donor
Donor

Post by busman »

WELL THATS THE THING 22-0. THERE IS ALSO A SLIDER KNOB ON THE MIC ITSELF THAT SAYS MIC GAIN ALSO. YOU COULD BE RIGHT BECAUSE I WAS USEING IT THE OTHER NIGHT AND I ASKED MY SON-IN-LAW HOW IT SOUNDED AND HE SAID IT WAS LOUD,REAL LOUD. SAID HE COULD HEAR EVERY THING IN THE BACK GROUND TO. I TURNED THE SLIDER DOWN AND IT WAS STILL LOUD. I GOT THAT LITTLE GAIN KNOB ON THE BACK ABOUT HALF WAY OPEN.
TwentyTwo-Zero
Donor
Donor

Post by TwentyTwo-Zero »

I stand corrected - it controls the effects (echo/slapback) volume.
Take a look here
------------
busman
Donor
Donor

Post by busman »

THANKS FOR THAT LINK 22-0.
TwentyTwo-Zero
Donor
Donor

Post by TwentyTwo-Zero »

No problem... :wink:
------------
KI4MSJ
Donor
Donor
Handle: Barnstormer
Radio: ICOM 7000

Post by KI4MSJ »

I have owned a number of Sadelta mics. I never ran the Astatic mics but, love the Sadeltas. Very loud, clear audio but, as you stated, if you turn it up to loud it does pick up alot of the ambient noise. If the Astatic is anything like the Sadelta mics, you will love the audio once you get it set. Good luck
Wolverine27755
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Wolverine27755 »

I've had a few echomax's and currently have one I use, the efects gain is on the front or I guess you could say top of the mic right by the mic gain slider and Digital delay. As for the white knobs on the back the volume only controls your headphone volume nothing on the transmitting end, the gain control is your master mic gain. The best way to look at it is like a clarifier the master gain is like you coarse and the slider on the front would be your fine. In my personal setup I set the gain on the mic slider on the top right at 5 (in the middle) and then set the one on the back to where I wanted it to sound how I liked then if I had extra background noise I could cut the audio back on the slider or if I didn't have enough I could turn it up on the slider ect...

Hope that helped
Chris
busman
Donor
Donor

Post by busman »

THANKS WOLVERINE. WHERE DO YOU RUN YOUR DIGITAL DELAY AND EFFECTS GAIN TO GET JUST A HINT OF ECHO TO MAKE A LITTLE FULLER SOUND.?? THANKS BY THE WAY.
Flattop
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Flattop
Antenna: Home made Beam
Radio: Galaxy base

Post by Flattop »

I have two echomax 2000 they are OK but i am looking for that fat rich sound something warmer.
Mississippifrog

Post by Mississippifrog »

Wolverine27755 wrote:I've had a few echomax's and currently have one I use, the efects gain is on the front or I guess you could say top of the mic right by the mic gain slider and Digital delay. As for the white knobs on the back the volume only controls your headphone volume nothing on the transmitting end, the gain control is your master mic gain. The best way to look at it is like a clarifier the master gain is like you coarse and the slider on the front would be your fine. In my personal setup I set the gain on the mic slider on the top right at 5 (in the middle) and then set the one on the back to where I wanted it to sound how I liked then if I had extra background noise I could cut the audio back on the slider or if I didn't have enough I could turn it up on the slider ect...

Hope that helped
Chris
Thanks for saving me some typing Wolverine27755 :lol:
I have a EchoMax2000 as well.And Wolverine's advise is on the money.
Mississippifrog

Post by Mississippifrog »

Flattop wrote:I have two echomax 2000 they are OK but i am looking for that fat rich sound something warmer.
I've had many different base mics and the Astatic EchoMax is by far the best CB base mic for me. I even had the big studio setup,which sounded great and looked even better but cost $$$ and is much more equipment to deal with. In the end i preferred the simplicity of the Astatic over the studio setup. Plus my Astatic just sounds so good with my 2980WX.I'm not knocking the studio mics though.They do sound awesome.

What kind of mic are you looking for?
Wolverine27755
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Wolverine27755 »

Here's something that will help with the sound of the echomax that I found out by accident. I always thought they were a little high pitched sounding and like the sound of my k-eagle better, then one day I found out that if you unscrew the metal thing on the gooseneck under the slobber stopper, the thing that is over the mic element it changes the pitch of the sound. Don't unscrew it completly just loosen it some and on mine it made a big difference, I have even listened to it myself from the mobile and I can't tell a difference from the k-eagle.

Busman,
Where I run my echomax is on the slapback side on about 2 O'clock, and the effects gain on about a #4. It kind of gives it a sound like your in a big ol empty room.
I like slapback just because all you ever hear is echo, not that I don't like echo, I just like to be a little different.

Chris