Fav Antenna

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.

Which antenna do you prefer

Wilson 1000
20%
Wilson 5000
26%
102"
23%
MR. Coily
3%
Predator 10K
20%
monkey made
5%
stargun
1%
55 antennas
2%
bozo made
1%

Total votes: 877

grape ape
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by grape ape »

Also check this info. On the poll I did it covers some other antenna's

http://www.cbradiotalk.com/vi ... highlight=
That which does not kill me, better run pretty damn fast...
You think dry-cleaning is expensive? Try gettiin' your pants sand blasted!
DX4fun
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by DX4fun »

jessejamesdallas wrote:Everything on the 10K is replaceable... :wink:
The best thing about the Predator 10K is that after you get tired of playing around at the local K-Mart parking lot key down event, you can pack that thing away in the trunk so it will stay nice and shiny. :wink:

Then pop your 7 foot Firestik on there, turn the amps off, and talk to the world. :lol: :lol: :lol:
kg95

102" whip

Post by kg95 »

I figured I'd get a 102" whip because so many people think it's great.

Personally I'm not that impressed.

It is somewhat better than the 4' fiberglass I replaced.

The SWR is not.

Right now I'm thinking the 102" is no better than a monkeymade
or 10K. Especially on the RX. You may be able to get
even better SWR with the monkeymade or 10K - I can not.

The 102" is a good performer for the price.

I'm highly impressed with the performance of
my 3 and 4 foot fiberglass. I'm into the Wilson
silverloads - they work way better than anything
their size. I think Wilson has the 'secret recipe'
that makes their fiberglass a little better.
They certainly handle the power I use.
From one pill to 4 pill.
I think they get heated up more by the sun.

I want to try a 5 foot fiberglass next.
Mostly to see if the extra foot makes
a difference. I do think it makes
somewhat of a difference between the 3 and 4 footers.
It seems like 3 or 4 foot are 'shorties'
for serious enthusiasts these days.

I'm interested in the Skipshooter brand also.
I hear they handle a lot of watts.
I see they make 'em in 5 and 7 foot too.
I have seen people write here that they like their
7 foot fiberglass. I think the rigidity of
fiberglass that size might be a problem if you
hit something. Maybe you can get away with it.
TX_Dj
Donor
Donor
Radio: DX959 or General Lee

Post by TX_Dj »

My 102 is 1.10:1 on ch 1 and 1.05:1 on ch 40.

That's configured on a L-bracket from a mirror mount, attached to the tailgate frame at the back corner of the bed, with a heavy duty machined SO239 mount and a 1-1/4" length "stand off". With a standard SO239 mount, it's just a little higher across all 40.

Its a talker and has huge ears when I run my General on it.
209 first class
Donor
Donor

Post by 209 first class »

jesse, you claimed in your prior post the predator was a better antenna because it tuned better. do you have any other info we can compare to? no one has offered proof, like " base station X ive been talking to for 2 years giving me 5 lbs dead key now gives me 7 lbs with the predator". the shortened coil loaded antenna can never work as good as the full size original it is imitating. any coil has loss. its pretty much cut and dried. if one antenna was really better, no other designs would be in use. ever look at cop cars ? whips. the question should be" what antenna is best for my needs in terms of power handling,and how much you want to be looking like a spaceship driving down the road. if mounted in the center of the roof, all the classic designs (top,center,bottom coil loaded whip, fiberglass, helical wound,) will work well. if these are the antennas that outperform others, doesnt anyone have any charts or numbers other than "it works better". that way others could compare to find out the real deal. 2zero9
2zero9 workin this top secret station in massachusetts.
Slim Jim
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slim Jim »

102" whip = working-man's 10K :lol:
stagecoach
Donor
Donor

Post by stagecoach »

55 magic need i say more?..................lol wassup skater hope to see you @sat.nite at the fights ?...........ST.augastine fl........soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stagecoach
Donor
Donor

Post by stagecoach »

funny that you would say what you said about 55?????? b/c i live in the same town as well and all i run is 55 BUILT equipment and i have not had any problems and since you decided to go neg. i have some pos. for you to chew on ,at or.......lol but the best run in cb was done by a guy from fl and guess who the tech was?????? not to mention that i have been in jax. for 20yrs and i have never heard anyone with the handle your sportin ????? and just to be strait with ya none of the equipment that i see or that you have spoke of in any of your post would make it to his bench and make no mistake about that its a fact........oh just one other thing i forgot to mention he is a personal friend so if you have issues then be a man and speak to the man but don't run with ducks on 21 and be disruptive here and i'm pretty sure how you feel so neg. but if you bring junk to a tech and i read your post and it is junk don't get upset if you pay 2 dollars for it and want to play full contact w/guys that buy quality to begin with and you blow it up like he told you it would trying to do your sound effects crap and just aggravate others away from their radio when your not on here crying about how one of the best tech in the business did you a bad job when you know that is not the case and i hope this site will leave this post b/c this is the real thing i do not know this guy but i do know the group that runs with him and their ideal of radio is causing as much hate and discontent from cussing ppl wives to harassing retired cripple operaters that have nothing else but their radio not to mention the neg.behavior they display toward the new and miss informed and take away from the hobby that we all love and r trying to keep going this guy and the bunch he runs with r a neg influence on radio as well as for radio i mean just think if it was your wife r your kids r if it was your dad r if it was you that these guys making malice of one of the best radio communities in south east it truly is a shame and one other thing b 4 i hush if one of you guys were my tech r my friend i would express myself in the same manner i have kept my remarks clean and w/facts hoping you will not delete it I'm stagecoach .......here ....and on the radio .....I'm a real groundshaker and i tell it like it T.......I........IS............................i'm not hiding behind a fake id ....so why r u ????????????????????????????sorry boys now you know why i don't do drama................CAREFUL OF THE TOES YOU STEP ON WHILE YOUR TRYING TO GET TO THE TOP THEY WILL BE THE SAME TOES THAT KICK YOU TEETH OUT AS YOU FALL TO THE BOTTOM this quote was told to me a long time ago by a operator who took me under his wing when i was new so now it is my gift to you and to be honest it did not make sense to me when he told me but it is the reason i never bash r go neg. on anyone who is in radio trying to be positive notice i said trying we are all human we make mistake but rude behavior in a grown man???????????you r welcome to contact me my number is available here and i will be glad to explain why we don't allow you on the main channels like ch 1 the 20 lb club or ch 4 or ch 6 pssst... its your behavior stagecoach...............................A REAL GROUNDSHAKER...............................
Animal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Animal
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: General Lee

Post by Animal »

I have both a Wilson 5000 and a Predator 10K. Both are very good antenna. I prefer the 10K. It is lighter and seems to get out better and tuned to a flat 1.0, I could get the Wilson close, but never that low.
Mack Trucks Are Pulling Trucks!

If You Want Big Horsepower, You Must Have Big Cox Motorsports!
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

209 first class wrote:jesse, you claimed in your prior post the predator was a better antenna because it tuned better. do you have any other info we can compare to? no one has offered proof, like " base station X ive been talking to for 2 years giving me 5 lbs dead key now gives me 7 lbs with the predator". the shortened coil loaded antenna can never work as good as the full size original it is imitating. any coil has loss. its pretty much cut and dried. if one antenna was really better, no other designs would be in use. ever look at cop cars ? whips. the question should be" what antenna is best for my needs in terms of power handling,and how much you want to be looking like a spaceship driving down the road. if mounted in the center of the roof, all the classic designs (top,center,bottom coil loaded whip, fiberglass, helical wound,) will work well. if these are the antennas that outperform others, doesnt anyone have any charts or numbers other than "it works better". that way others could compare to find out the real deal. 2zero9
I claimed it tunes better....probably. Sounds like something I would say. :lol:

As for "Proff" the 10K works better than a 102" Whip...I have posted that info before, but not in a while. I'll see if I can find a link to the info, but really, what ever I type out, there still are going to be people who think the test or results are either fabricated, or flawed, so best thing I can tell ya, is to give a Predator 10K a try next time your in the market for a new antenna.... :wink:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
209 first class
Donor
Donor

Post by 209 first class »

my point was its impossible for a predator to perform better than the 102" whip.(in a controlled setup, yes, a well tuned predator will work better than a badly tuned 120" obviously)it is less efficient by nature. are u guys still tuning your antennas thru coax? its not accurate. maybe thats why you are not noticing differences. unless its a perfect 1/2 wave cable , your meter will not read the same at the coax as the antenna feedpoint. the antenna will do its thing at its tuned frequency regaurdless of what it reads at the coax end. this means if you dont have an mfj to attach directly to the antenna,(via a male/male antenna connector availale at radio shack.)or grid dip meter analyzer, its not perfectly adjusted. the wilsons are the only antennas i know of where the coax is cut to read on the meter what the antenna is actually doing. thats why you cant shorten the cable on them, the cable is part of the matching system. i think the real truth is that these versions of shortened antennas work so close in performance to the 102"whip there is not much point in using one anymore because of unsightlyness, need for a more sturdy mount, overhead clearance ect. i know you are a dealer, of course i understand you need to promote the product. but facts are facts until we have proof otherwise. 2zero9
2zero9 workin this top secret station in massachusetts.
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Well said there 209. It's amazing we're still having this conversation over and over. It's just like the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge deal, it will never end with all in agreement. I too think the performance level is too close to call once a certain level of quality is reached. That said, you'll still have the debating and bickering, and yes, the un needed mudslinging.

Theory dictates that something without a coil would mash one with a coil, but we'll never have any firm testing to convince anyone of that, or to see actually how much benefit a coil free antenna may or may not have. Could some of these coil designs have a radiation angle that is better in some cases for a particular type of operation? Certainly, but we'll never know for sure. If coils are that great, why don't we use them in our beam antennas? We do on the ham bands, just to squeeze that big beam on a tower, but at a loss. Why isn't the most popular base vertical out there a coil antenna? I run a coil daily but know that there may be some tiny bit of compromise, but it's so tiny I don't think I could ever measure it. The only time I'd make FOR SURE to go coil free is on a phased or parasitic setup, as I know that works, and element interaction generated by using coils is something I'm not clear on, and when you start mixing coils and straight elements, who knows what the pattern will be. I can say that on shootout pics and videos, I never seem to see a huge sky class antenna array filled with coil antennas. If a coil free antenna is the best there, where you're getting the most out of what you have, why not go coil free daily? Convenience for most of us is the reason, but in reality, it's hard to beat the price, ruggedness, and dependability of a full size whip if you can forego the height. -drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
TX_Dj
Donor
Donor
Radio: DX959 or General Lee

Post by TX_Dj »

drdx wrote:It's just like the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge deal, it will never end with all in agreement.
We can end that argument right now. Toyota Tacoma. 3/4 ton payload capacity. 6000 lbs towing capacity. 26 mpg unloaded. Get over it. :lol:
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Yeah, the Ford vs. Dodge vs. Chevy deal does leave out toyota, a true stand alone winner. Just like the 102 whip vs. pred 10k vs. whatever. That debate leaves out my new 1/2 wave "bunker buster" antenna soon to debut. :lol: A true 1/2 wave, no coils, clears bridges, and is dual polarized. Stay tuned. Gotta love a good debate. -drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Scrappile
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Scrappile »

I'm partial to my 102" whip.
Dirty Harry
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Dirty Harry »

Scrappile wrote:I'm partial to my 102" whip.
With or without handcuffs? :wink:

adjfire
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Radio: RCI 2995

Mazda 3 Antenna Selection

Post by adjfire »

I have been using a wilson 1000. It performed awesome but the coax is starting to split after 7 years. Where can I get a 3 mag magnet mount as I want to try a 102' steel whip or would anyone recommend and antenna for my car. Its a 2008 Mazda 3 sedan!

SGT Delalla
U.S. Army
Smokinjo
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by Smokinjo »

I prefer my STAR GUN when it broke and all antennas so I sent it off to be fixed, the shipping was paid for by star gun and all new updates where made for free and was shipped back just like new. It can be changed to run one or two coils I love and always get compliments. I rode a the mirror of a MACK for 5 yrs and I could talk 35 mi barefoot most mornings on 19 and could hear at least 20 mi most of the time. There was never any complaints here!
super20dan
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by super20dan »

trying out a 55 anntenna-so far its impressive vs the 102 whip
madsage
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Magnum S45, Cobra2K

Post by madsage »

Mr. 9k9 wrote:LOL we still trade pelts of course..... that is when it's warm enough to come out of our Igloo...... eh.
I actually live right on the border by the bluewater bridge in Sarnia Ontario, 5 minutes from Port Huron Michigan so I get to use real money once in a while.

Yeah funny how 90% of canadians live on teh US border. lol!
just having fun!

born on US side, lake of the woods Minn.

73's
933 RiffRaff
in the stickers
BIGHOG
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Big Hog
Radio: Stryker

Post by BIGHOG »

Had been running the Wilson 1000 mag for years. Switched over to the 102SS without spring on a custom mount. The improvement is amazing :D :D :D :D :D Increased recieve, increased transmit, the whole 9!!! Took a while to get it dialed in but boy was it worth it. It is a bit more noisy but that comes with the added receive I guess. 102 all the way
Leiffi
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: 56WR00
Radio: Many SS3900:s

Post by Leiffi »

I hale liked on mobile use the SIRIO antennas..

Myself have the Turbo 2000 and i have been satisfied on it 8)
Russ
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: WR2005
Antenna: Golden Rod 45
Radio: rci 2970dx

Re: Fav Antenna

Post by Russ »

I put the 10k and my wilson 2000 trucker antenna to the test today....and they both were getting the exact same reading on the tx and rx. And the 2000 was sounding better on the the other end...go figure...is it really a 10K world..
busdriver389
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: rci 2950, 93T,99V

Re: Fav Antenna

Post by busdriver389 »

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I've run monkey made(made a good fishing weight), king kong(thought something was wrong with my truck, no just humming noise comming fron antenna) . kept going back to my 10k that I've had for about 5yrs. I'm fixing to put it to test again, this time against a browing br51. I'll let you know how it goes.
We're all going to die, but I've got a helmet.
linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Re:

Post by linearone »

Mr RadioActive wrote:I've used so many antennas. Coily, Stargun, McNasty, Al Capone, 2 Watt, 55, fighting sticks.................The Best thus far has been the 10K for quality, weight, and tx/rx
If possible I would really like to see pics of a 2 watt antenna. I heard this person also made mounts etc. any contact info for him?
Its CB radio, plug and play technology, its just not that hard folks...