Linx's Journal - Tower/Equipment Pics

Tell us what you're doing from day to day. Post your daily notes here about any radio projects that you are working on.
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Well, when you get into the game of having a foot switch, a boom mic, and so forth certain physical freedom of the extremities become available. I usually tinker with stuff, eat spaghetti, drink a beer, or maybe sort my sock drawer, but that room looks limited on options, so I'm definitely concerned. If what I think could happen, the term "noise cancelling" may take on a whole new meaning.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
linx

Post by linx »

ROFL Jack....

That "orange" handle device is a pistol grip Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver.

To make things even more kinky, I have a non pistol grip one that matches...
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalo ... ir=catalog
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Wow, I think we hit a nerve :lol: Man, he gets one nibble and calls out Johnny Cochran, from the grave with a fake link where I can even buy one. And it just HAD to be snap-on, the bling of tools, very fitting. I have one of those myself. It is a craftsman, not battery powered, black in color, and is much larger. It is in my screwdriver drawer. I scanned that image and my investigation pulled it up as the "happyguy 2000gtl-dx" over on secrethusbandfun dot com. I don't even want to start to describe their home page. :lol: That's 5 seconds of feverishly fumbling for the back arrow that I'll never recover from soon. -drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
linx

Post by linx »

ha ha ha....you crack me up 1.98
edx111
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Yaesu FT890

Re: Linx's Journal - Tower/Equipment Pics

Post by edx111 »

That's a nice set of pix of your installation, Rob, would be good to have access to the equipment etc., that you do in the US.
Here, I've been building HF quads for the past 20 some years and, while they are certainly a **Censored** to handle on the ground, they certainly give me of their best in the air.
I had a 5 element quad mounted on a tower made of 1 20'length of 2" water pipe with a 20' length of 1 1/2" inside it so the quad was at 36' during Hurricane Ivan and when ther hurricane had passed, I could have made moon shots lol, but the quad was fine.
I now have another 5 quad on a length of 1 1/2 pipe but on top of my deck roof so I can take it down easily and remove the elements from the boom for safety in case of storm.
I recently built my house and use solar panels and deep cycle batteries to power the house, and am putting up a Whisper 200 marine turbine on top of 40' of schedule 40 pipe; in case of hurricane, I welded a ladder to the pole so I can take off the blades.
I plan to use the tower to run a long wire for 40 meters to and use the tuner for any mismatch.
Hope to meet you on the air some time, am usually around 555 usb hunting for DX,
God bless,
Jeremy, 23da330
edx111,
Yaesu FT890, 5 element Cubical Quad
edx111
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by edx111 »

By the way, for a pic of my current quad, you can visit http://www.freewebs.com/jeremy23da330/
All the best
edx111,
PONY EXPRESS
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: GOLDEN EAGLE Mark IV

Post by PONY EXPRESS »

Real nice Jeromy That quad will put out a bigtime signal for you as you know. Your Yaesu FT 890 is a find looking radio as well .
Being in Jamaica you get lots of people trying to talk to you no doubt .
Its not a real radio unless it has tubes and USB/LSB on the front panel ....
edx111
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by edx111 »

That's a heck of a job you did with the tower and antennas. I've just built myself a homebrew crank-up fold down tower out of 2 1/2" steel square hollow section, with 2" for the inner leg, all to hold a long boom 6 element quad for 11 meter. Reason for this was some exceptionally strong winds we had here on the coast a couple months back which played havoc with my old quad. We dont have access to towers and accessories here like you guys have in the US. I bought a second hand Ham 111 rotor which had a dead meter- reason being, the 1/8A fuse in the control box had blown, and I cant, for the life of me, find a replacement, so have soldered a thin strand of wire across the fuse ends in the interim and it works great.
I'll be updating the website when the quad is finally up and running, but so far have added a description of the works, and a pic of the pulley I put together and my homebrew balun.
I bought a brand new run of 80' of direct burial RG-213/U and 50' of new rotor cable.
The quad boom is made of two 14'6" lengths of 2" square aluminum hollow section with a 16' length inside as a splice and for added strength, and made up a guy bracket to guy the boom against sagging and side to side swaying in the wind.
Hopefully this project will be able to withstand the winds here and give me good DX signals.

PS Thanks for the moderator invite, but I really dont have the time.

All the best, edx111
edx111,
909WiSCoNSiN

Post by 909WiSCoNSiN »

that tower does look huge!
Blackbart
Donor
Donor
Radio: President Washington

Post by Blackbart »

That sure beats the heck out of climbing up trees and mount beams... Great work
outlaw0814
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy 959

Post by outlaw0814 »

Im jelouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
galaxy 959 mostly stock
575m6 mike
mod V 150
imax w/4ft francis
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

All I can say is, Linx, you have WAY TO much expendable cash sir!!!! Love the setup, like insanely jealous!!!! Enjoy it, I am looking forward to more pics of the entire "shack" and tower setup all completed!!!!

Over,

Snowman
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

Lets Bump, Just for fun!!!

Snowman