What have you recently acquired for new radio gear ?

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.

How did you get your last radio?

Garage Sale
16%
Ebay
25%
Amazon
13%
Other Website
46%

Total votes: 63

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

Just writing and wondering what new radio "finds" any of you have found lately to add to your growing collection or as a replacement for something you recently parted with or put away ?

Did you just order something up brand new from one of out CBRT Forum sponsors ? Or something from one of the major catalog-order warehouses ? Where ?

Did you recently find a newly acquired treasure from Ebay or Craigslist ?

Have you come across a steal at a local yard sale or flea market ?

What was it ? New or used ? Antique or Vintage ? What condition is it in ? Why did you buy it? Was it something you've been wanting or needing for a while now-----or it was just to good of a deal to pass up ? Something rare or unusual ? Homemade ? Something you or a friend built ? Something odd or unusual perhaps normally unrelated----that you plan to modify, adapt or experiment with for radio use ? What is it ?

Was it a---- Radio ? Amplifier ? Meter ? Mic ? Antenna ? Tower ? Rotor ? Coax ? Power Cables ? Power Supply ? Motor Maul ? What ?

What do you plan on doing with it ? Are you definitely keeping it or do you plan on re-selling it ?

Just wanted a place for people to share with the rest of us what you've been up to lately with new additions to you gear collection! It seems like so much of it is lost or disconnected in a multitude of other miscellaneous threads that we might not normally read or stumble on ordinarily----and we could all see what you've got recently in one place.

I know I am very interested in what other guys are getting and how they are building their collections and with what type of gear. It's a good way to get new ideas to add to our own collections too!

Anybody get any radio-related "goodies" lately ? Please share !
Last edited by on October 12th, 2020, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rayray1963

Post by rayray1963 »

I was recently given an old Yaesu FT 101 and amp. Has bad tubes in it and is in pretty rough shape. I plan on completely rebuilding it when I get the chance. I sold a big part of my collection last part of last year to fuel my other habit. Firearms!
Now wishing I had most of it back. Buying and selling.....or should I say starting over. Down to one radio just now. My Galaxy 88 and 1x4 in the big truck....

Ray
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: dx99v/pro 510

Re: What have you recently acquired for new radio gear ?

Post by 153 »

Just bought a 16 pill skywalker, 1X4 driver skywalker and 300 amp powersupply. Well satisfied!!! Got 2 varmits, a 150 and 350 at a garage sale.
NCMidnight

Post by NCMidnight »

Traded for a Uniden Phili. PC76XL for about $17. Works great. I dont know much more about it at this point. When I get a chance Ill do some research.
Also ordered a new Lee from Sparky yesterday with the the TG compressor and Modulation mod.(not sure what mod. He said something new they had been doing)
I cant wait to try it out. Should be here by Monday at the latest.

CBRT
Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Circuit Breaker
Call Sign: K7CB
Antenna: OCF Dipole
Radio: HR2510/Yaesu FT-950

Post by Circuit Breaker »

I got a practically new in the box, virgin, made in the Philippines, 1992 Uniden Grant XL. It still had the plastic film on the faceplate.

Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-8100
Icom IC-2820 (with D-Star capability)
Kenwood TR-751 2M all mode mobile
Kenwood TM-3530 220 MHz mobile
Uniden Washington Base
Uniden HR-2510
Icom ID-92 HT
SteppIR 40-6M Yagi
OCF 75/80M dipole
Diamond V2000A 6M/2M/70cm ground plane antenna
Antron 99
Florida Boy
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Workin on gettin it

Post by Florida Boy »

NCMidnight, i am about 90% decided on that radio ( GL ) with those same mods, can't wait to hear what you have to say about it. Was thinking about the Galaxy 959, but not sure if i would use the SSB. So if you dont mind , put up your reviews of the GL. :colors:

CAN'T WAIT TO ORDER MY SETUP :aaargh:
2008 F250 Diesel SuperDuty Crew Cab
With your help, radio will b coming....ok,Radio and Mic has been decided almost there WOOHOO
redneck330
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy 88 HL

Post by redneck330 »

I recently bought a "Sparktuned" Northstar 650-BFM.
330 - Mr. Redneck in the Coal Country of Virginia
ma deuce
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: sparktified general

Post by ma deuce »

rat shack meter :rambo:
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

A Pair of R4's from Fatboy for for my Suburban...Set-up in a 2-Hot configuration, so far these things "Rock!"...Little on the "Tall-Side" when mounted on the roof of my Suburban, but least their shorter than what 2-102" Whips would be! :cheers:
Last edited by on November 2nd, 2019, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed missing images
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
otter
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by otter »

picking up a rat shack SWR and Watt meter tomorrow.
also thinking of getting my hands on a Palomar 600
Rabbit 227
PONY EXPRESS
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: GOLDEN EAGLE Mark IV

Post by PONY EXPRESS »

10 PL 259 connectors and 10 PL 258 Barrell connectors :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Oh yeah another Cobra 148F GTL DX+ and Avanti PDL II 2 element beam

Its not a real radio unless it has tubes and USB/LSB on the front panel ....
preacherman
Donor
Donor
Handle: Preacherman
Call Sign: K0EIR
Radio: Cobra 29, Lincoln, Magnum

Post by preacherman »

An Icom 706 mkIIG to put in my mobile. :cheers:
Preacherman
Modifying Cobra 29's is my hobby.
WEASEL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by WEASEL »

I just got a new Magnum 257 and its already broke! lol The volume pot flaked out on me within a week. :aaargh:
babax60

Post by babax60 »

hello

recently , I acquired antenna "mantova 8 turbo" , mike syncron mp7000 and mike sadelta echo master +
antenna on "priceminister"
mike on "ebay"

73/51

Last edited by on November 2nd, 2019, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed missing image
Alien Abductor

Post by Alien Abductor »

In the last few weeks I was given a Johnson 124-m
Ive bought a 1x4 destroyer, 2 bad boy t tops, black al capone mounts, some coax....
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

I got a 1993 philly uniden washington locally for $100 and it is in minty condition, no hacking whatsoever. While it is no smoking deal, buying it local I could see and check it first and got it for about what one goes for with shipping from an auction.

I also dumpster dove 2 aluminum folding walkers, cut them up, and made an 18 foot long reflector element for portable use that even snaps apart into 4 foot sections using the old adjusters from the walkers. I reused all of the hardware from them and only had 2 use 2 bolts from my junk box and now for the effort have a free cool item to experiment with.

On the homefront, I scrapped an old wine cooler fridge and have a cool box to turn into maybe a shack in the box or "RIB"(rig in a box) or maybe a remotely switched tuning unit for my outside base stuff. It also had a KILLER heat sink with fan mounted to it for a future project. Never underestimate the contents of a cool home item before tossing it out.

Soon, I'll get a new 949 from a sponsor along with another ww amp.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
freddo
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy DX88HL

Post by freddo »

Galaxy DX959 from ebay... seems to be "peaked", nice and loud, good output, no channelization yet, on my to-do list. Nice radio, the first Galaxy I've owned. I'm impressed.
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

well just picked up a cherry, very clean philly uniden grant, a shooting star, and a antenna selector switch (free). I have a buddy promising me a 5 element yagi but, that hasnt been seen yet.

[mod=Bozo] secured images with SSL[/mod]
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

God I can say I love this stuff. Look at all the goodies. A little envious always but mainly glad to see others are gathering the gear for stations that are 10-8 and straight. New things, NOS new-old-stock unopened goods, linears with more power. . . "it's all good" to me and look at this stuff it's good to see that some are pressing forward with station-gear. It gets me more in the spirit every time I see what others are doing and sharing with us. Look at those antennas too both the hot pair as well as that new-unopened PDL.

I've got a few things lately to add to the thread and my collection.

Radios
Although I didn't "need it" I bought a mint Kenwood TS-520SE from someone who it was left to in a will. The guy was considering putting it in his boat but I tried to tell him it would be a bad idea (hehe but true) and that it wasn't suited for the corrosive marine environment.

Also just picked up last weekend a beautiful condition Regency Formula 23 CB-292 base station radio. Mint and looks like it just come out of the box. I really like the looks of it.

Power Supplies
Purchased three (3x) Samlex SEC 1212 13.8VDC regulated switched-mode power supplies 10A continuous 12A peak. Will be good for running some of my accessories and lighting.

Got one Digipros 24VDC 8.6A switched-mode power supply.

Picked up two (2x) APC Back-UPS Pro 500 uninterruptible power supplies for use with the PC and phone/modem etc. Good for power supply backup as well as surge/spike protection as will as line filtering. The PC will be going in the station room at some point and I haven't had one yet. Now I will have one in the office here and one in the station.

Also ten (10x) Enhanced commercial 13.8VC regulated switched-mode power supplies 120A continuous. I also added six (6x) of their 50A linear 13.8VDC power supplies to my order. Hopefully I won't need any more high-current/amperage direct plug-in DC power supplies ever again. No more lack of DC power to run my mobile gear at the station. It was a huge investment.

I am looking into and working on a 24V battery/charger combination supply as an "alternative" supply system so I bought a Lester Electrical 24V Dual-mode Automatic Battery Charger to combine with two (2x) 12V automotive batteries wired in series for 24VDC output. It's a little 8A but still heavy-duty unit. It's omething I'm experimenting with and posting about in a "How to select proper sized/value capacitors ?" thread.
http://www.cbradiotalk.com/vi ... 19&t=26701

Power Management
I've got a number of Industriaplex 15A/20A outlet industrial/commercial power outlet strips for use in the shack and out in the shop. Really nice and of heavy-duty lab-grade quality and in the same class as the ones made by Tripp-Lite and Hammond Manufacturing. Will pretty much solve much of my needs for power extensions in the shack and garage both. I have some spares and have began selling them on Cragislist and doing pretty well with a few sales already in the first week or two of listing them.
Commercial/Industrial/Laboratory Grade 7x 15A/20A Outlet Power Strips - $20 (South Jersey)

As a related deal I've bought a number of Leviton 20A GFCI "T-Slot" type receptacles for the house and have installed them. Trying to upgrade some of the power outlets from standard 2-prong or 3-prong to a much safer receptacle for everyone.

I also bought a box of thick/heavy commercial 3M Shrinkwrap for terminal ends. Twice as thick at least as the normal-grade stuff I've bought in recent times. They are mainly for battery cables and welding cables and range in size from 2AWG to 4-0 or 0000AWG. Got the whole box of 70 pieces. Will come in handy as I have alot of heavy-gauge cables and is far-superior to electrical tape. Much safer and neater appearance.

Test Meter
One more thing is an old but mint condition commercial/military radio test set. In appearances it looks very similar to the Bird Electronics 43 and is a Dynamic Electronics Analyzer TS-684/URM-30 model. Another usable item for my test bench and work station.

Tools and related
One more thing is a Lumidor (Honeywell) 2-piece stacking tool chest/cabinet on rollers. It is an older model but in really nice condition with red and black powder coating. Perfect addition to my shop and to keep some of my more precise tools in.

I appreciate anyone who will share with everyone else what you've got lately for radio-related gear and hardware. Anything at all and it's nice to see everyone improving their setups. It seems like much of what you guys are getting or doing gets lost in other threads and it would be decent to have at least one thread where some of you would share what all you're getting for new additions to your mobile and station gear.
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

Well a while ago i received a 95t2 which i was pretty upset with, Finally got it out to pro-tech, when i got it back its gonna be like new! well new to me, i havent been able to use it. Its going to go with my other newly acquired radio gear.... the new truck.
And thats gonna go with the new riser im going to be fabricating soon.
wyorunner
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by wyorunner »

I recently fabbed up a custom mount for my 4runner.
DOMINATOR
Donor
Donor
Radio: IC7000,

Post by DOMINATOR »

PONY EXPRESS wrote:10 PL 259 connectors and 10 PL 258 Barrell connectors :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Oh yeah another Cobra 148F GTL DX+ and Avanti PDL II 2 element beam

That antenna rocks build it carefully and you blow down walls with it .
DOMINATOR TYPE AUDIO DRIVE !
STAY TUNED .....
yota167
Donor
Donor
Radio: Stryker490HP

Post by yota167 »

Yesterday:

Stryker490
Tri-Mag Mount
102" whip

-Can't wait for the skip to start roll'n.
Yota167
Getting back in the game...
Was running fat boys, Davemade's, and TS's.
Now just wanting to set up my Kenworth t880 Roll Off truck.
Corn_Bread
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: Wilson 5000, 2000, 1000, Little Wil
Radio: Connex3300hp Uniden76xl Stryker497 Cobra29lx

Post by Corn_Bread »

Traded my truck, 99 Ranger, for a 07 F150. Big toy. Traded my Uniden 78Elite to an 95 Cobra 148GTL. Getting a Antron99 hopefully by Monday, $35.
Anyone that has a Grant XL or Grant that you want to get rid off. Please send a PM my way!
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by 579 »

I picked up NightHawk's Galaxy 99v, that he had for sale on here. The dam things brand new. I thought I'd never say this, but I'm having so much fun on ssb, I don't care when the skip comes back.
579 Eastern Ontario Canada, cruzin this cold country mobile.