RM ITALY KL-500

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
stickman

RM ITALY KL-500

Post by stickman »

I JUST GOT A USED RM ITALY KL-500 MOBIL AMP AND IT DOES NOT HAVE A MANUAL. MY QUESTION IS WHAT ARE THE 6 SETTINGS ON THE AMP ? I WAS THINKING IT WAS MAYBE THE OUTPUT WATTAGE IT WOULD DO EXAMPLE: SETTING 1 WOULD BE 100 WATTS 2 - 200WATTS AND SO ON.
THANKS
STICKMAN

P.S.
I ALREADY LOOKED ON RMITALY.COM DOESN'T SAY WHAT THE SETTING ARE FOR OR WHAT THEIR PURPOSES ARE OTHER THAN SAYING DO NOT USE SETTING 6 UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING AT 12 WATTS
Choirboy

Post by Choirboy »

Stickman,

http://www.rmitaly.com/scheda ... =0&tipo=97

It just says "output power level". I was just looking at those online today, because I want more power than my KL-200P but still want to mount it on top of my Cobra 29.

Let me know how much they cost and how you like it....
stickman

Post by stickman »

I MUST SAY I AM VERY SURPRISED HOW WELL THIS AMP DOES!! I AM REACHING OUT JUST AS FAR AS MY OLD 1X2 DAVEMADE! THAT'S IMPRESSIVE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION. BEST PART THESE AMPS AREN'T THAT EXPENSIVE! THEY ARE EASY TO HIDE BECAUSE THEY ARE FLAT!
STICKMAN
Midlander
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Midlander »

Yes I agree, I currently have a KL 300-P does 150 AM and 300SSB, I just upgraded to the KL-500 300AM and 600SSB... Lots of people said these amps are not very good, but I disagree with them. Every one I've talked to said I sounded great, and some people said it was the best they heard in a long time.... So I guess this speaks volumes for this inexpensive amp manufacturer.

It's a good amp.

Midlander World Wide 308 BC Canada... GOT DOWN!
World Radio 4, The Big 4...GOT DOWN!
linx

Post by linx »

I ran one for over 5 years with no problems. It finally killed itself from the heat of not having a fan, but 5 years of use at like $150 isn't bad. Actually back then the KL500 was like $100 flat, lol.
38Special
Donor
Donor

re

Post by 38Special »

I modified my kl203. I went to the local computer store and bought a high flow fan like whats on the back of a computer, and they are 12 volts. I can talk for hours and the heatsink never even gets warm. New fans are available for $15.00 or less (get the brushless type) and they have zero noise to the antenna. It'll make your amp live a lot longer by keepingit cool.
"The Smallest Station In The Nation"!!! Makin' lots of rackit in a small area!
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Galaxy959&cobra

Re: RM ITALY KL-500

Post by Capndave »

Ive been using a KL 60 for 3or 4 years, on a stock crappy radio shack 447, and if I didnt tell anyone what I was running, you would think it was a bigger radio.I just today got a KL203 today to run on my new DX 959,cant wait to see how that works :pirat:
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

Capndave wrote:Ive been using a KL 60 for 3or 4 years, on a stock crappy radio shack 447, and if I didnt tell anyone what I was running, you would think it was a bigger radio.I just today got a KL203 today to run on my new DX 959,cant wait to see how that works :pirat:

The Capn is sailin world wide and on the side
The Empire state wavin my hat at ya!!!
doctor

Post by doctor »

How much you running into it 5 watts or so??

DOCTOR/CBRT908 :clown:
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

Yea,That is all that the trc 447 will do.Its been a good radio for years, but I working on getting a black chrome LTD 29 and Im gonna have a tech in Ill.put a RFX 75(I think) mod in it then that dog will BARK!!! :pirat:
this_is_nascar
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by this_is_nascar »

Capndave wrote:Yea,That is all that the trc 447 will do.Its been a good radio for years, but I working on getting a black chrome LTD 29 and Im gonna have a tech in Ill.put a RFX 75(I think) mod in it then that dog will BARK!!! :pirat:
Don't expect to run a RFX-75 modified radio into a KL203 or KL300. Those 2x1446 transistors will not handle the 100-120 watt swing of the RFX-75 for very long, if at all.
"... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

Post by 127 »

Capndave wrote:Yea,That is all that the trc 447 will do.Its been a good radio for years, but I working on getting a black chrome LTD 29 and Im gonna have a tech in Ill.put a RFX 75(I think) mod in it then that dog will BARK!!! :pirat:
I wouldn't do that! The KLV/RM amps are the worst for handling overdriving ........pop there it goes.
Those amps are inexpensive amps that certainly don't do impressive watts but they are clean. People buy them because they are cheap and clean.
JoshPel
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Radio: Radio Shack TRC-444

Post by JoshPel »

Capndave wrote:Ive been using a KL 60 for 3or 4 years, on a stock crappy radio shack 447, and if I didnt tell anyone what I was running, you would think it was a bigger radio.I just today got a KL203 today to run on my new DX 959,cant wait to see how that works :pirat:
Hey Capndave,

How did your KL203 work with your radio shack 447?? I'm planning on getting the KL-503 for my Radio Shack TRC-444. I was wondering whether you had to tune down the transmitter output power on your radio not to overdrive the KL60 or KL203? I was told by RM Italy folks I would not have to with 4 Watt TX output, but would like to get your take on it since you seem to have a whole lot of experience with these.

Thanks a bunch,
Josh
JoshPel
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by JoshPel »

stickman wrote:I JUST GOT A USED RM ITALY KL-500 MOBIL AMP AND IT DOES NOT HAVE A MANUAL. MY QUESTION IS WHAT ARE THE 6 SETTINGS ON THE AMP ? I WAS THINKING IT WAS MAYBE THE OUTPUT WATTAGE IT WOULD DO EXAMPLE: SETTING 1 WOULD BE 100 WATTS 2 - 200WATTS AND SO ON.
THANKS
STICKMAN

P.S.
I ALREADY LOOKED ON RMITALY.COM DOESN'T SAY WHAT THE SETTING ARE FOR OR WHAT THEIR PURPOSES ARE OTHER THAN SAYING DO NOT USE SETTING 6 UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING AT 12 WATTS
Hey Stickman how many watts does your radio input into the KL-500 and how has it been handling them and working overall? I'm about to get a KL-503. Thanks.
JoshPel
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Re:

Post by JoshPel »

Midlander wrote:Yes I agree, I currently have a KL 300-P does 150 AM and 300SSB, I just upgraded to the KL-500 300AM and 600SSB... Lots of people said these amps are not very good, but I disagree with them. Every one I've talked to said I sounded great, and some people said it was the best they heard in a long time.... So I guess this speaks volumes for this inexpensive amp manufacturer.

It's a good amp.

Midlander World Wide 308 BC Canada... GOT DOWN!
Midlander how many watts has your radio been putting into the KL 300p and the KL-500? How have these amps been working so far?
26fb456
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by 26fb456 »

rm and zetagi are the only ones we get here in england for cb/freebanding! they are very good value and can honestley say have never had one that has been bad or let me down!!! the kl500 are very popular here mostley because of the heavy ssb that we all do!! they all sound excellent!! cannot beleive its taken all these years for you guys to get them!!!!!lol!!!
JoshPel
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by JoshPel »

26fb456 wrote:rm and zetagi are the only ones we get here in england for cb/freebanding! they are very good value and can honestley say have never had one that has been bad or let me down!!! the kl500 are very popular here mostley because of the heavy ssb that we all do!! they all sound excellent!! cannot beleive its taken all these years for you guys to get them!!!!!lol!!!
Hey 25fb456..how far in miles/km can you talk on kl500 on any average day, without real good skip going on if you put 4 watt AM in it or 12 watt ssb? Just wondering what range could I get from the power it provides under normal conditions.

Thanks
26fb456
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by 26fb456 »

hey joshpel! thats a bit difficult for me to say because we have different conditions than you over here !! ie no people running 1kw just to talk up the road!!!!! on ssb you should find that you just dont need lots of power !! on a normal day ie no skip like it is at the moment grrrr!! i can talk to people 60+ miles away!! vertical!! on a modest set up !! when some of the guys in london were hill topping! we could speak most days if we wanted to! thats 100 miles from my location!! i dont know how much you guys pay for the rms over your side but here we get them for £206/£209 depending on were you look!! i think thats a bargain!! just a word of warning if your a am user!! no high drive in to them! if you like big swing then low carrier and let it swing!! but no more than 20 watts swing! same as ssb to high drive they will sound rubbish! most the rms use the sd1446 transistors so high drive is not needed! i run mine at 18/20 watts max pep!!! ssb!! sounds fantastic!! and 3/4 watts on fm!! have worked most of europe on mine !!! hope this helps 73s .
JoshPel
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by JoshPel »

26fb456 wrote:hey joshpel! thats a bit difficult for me to say because we have different conditions than you over here !! ie no people running 1kw just to talk up the road!!!!! on ssb you should find that you just dont need lots of power !! on a normal day ie no skip like it is at the moment grrrr!! i can talk to people 60+ miles away!! vertical!! on a modest set up !! when some of the guys in london were hill topping! we could speak most days if we wanted to! thats 100 miles from my location!! i dont know how much you guys pay for the rms over your side but here we get them for £206/£209 depending on were you look!! i think thats a bargain!! just a word of warning if your a am user!! no high drive in to them! if you like big swing then low carrier and let it swing!! but no more than 20 watts swing! same as ssb to high drive they will sound rubbish! most the rms use the sd1446 transistors so high drive is not needed! i run mine at 18/20 watts max pep!!! ssb!! sounds fantastic!! and 3/4 watts on fm!! have worked most of europe on mine !!! hope this helps 73s .
Hey 26fb456, 60 miles away on a modest set up sounds impressive. How many watts were you transmitting on SSB to get that? I will most likely purchase an RM KL-503, which takes 1-6W input with 250Watt output/ 450W PEP. They're selling it for ~$160 USD online including shipping. So that sounds like a bargain to what they sell them for in europe.

The radio I plan to use is a stock CB Radio with a 4watt rf output..so I don't think this should be a problem on AM, right? Or would you think it would have a larger swing?

Thanks a lot again!