GP Antenna Risers

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
Donor
Donor

GP Antenna Risers

Post by 626 »

Gents, I have decided to make a product available to my customers that I have been selling locally for a while.

The product is a six inch riser CNC machined from .875 inch 303 stainless round bar. It is designed to be used in place of the pot belly spring that most of us use for our 102 whips. In addition to being electrically short, the springs often rust after just a short period of time. The riser brings the length of the whip to a resonant 108 inches. In addition to adding the necessary length, It reduces flex in mobile applications.

These risers offer an alternative to buying a 108 inch whip from MFJ and paying the oversize shipping charges. You already have a whip so use it...

I am selling these risers for $14.00 plus shipping. Pm me for shipping costs.
If I get a good response, I will post up high resolution pics on my site.

ImageImageImage
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Re: GP Antenna Risers

Post by »

Hey GUNNY..

Nice looking product and I'm sure there will be a good number of CBRT members that will be interested in purchasing.

8)
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

Lost Ram
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lost Ram
Antenna: 570' Loop with 600 ohm open feed line
Radio: Yaesu FTDX 101 MP / TRC-450

Post by Lost Ram »

I thought about the same thing Gunny but with a little twist to it, an adjustable one. It will be a little larger at the bottom and hollow so the upper part would be similar to yours and would slide into the bottom. The bottom would also have two set screws to maintain the adjust of the upper part. We build custom and racing torque converts here, I had to build up a pilot so I was turning a bushing in the lathe when I thought of that one. Anyway, just an idea for ya. Mine would adjust it from about 1-7" higher then no spring.
CB: TRC-450, Imax
Ham: FTDX101MP, FT-991A ,FT8900-2 meter crossband rig
Ham Antennas: 570', 500', wire loops, 2M Copper Slim Jim X2, CG-144 mobile
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.
Radio 75

Post by Radio 75 »

Another "Xtreme Duty" product Gunny?
I have run a big SS whip with the big spring a few times and did experience some rust, but the part that really worried me was the braided conductor in the
center of the spring... Pretty much looks like this will take care of that!

Looks like a great product, bet the competition guys will love it while they are on the way to the location to melt down some coax.
The rest of the "normal" world should appreciate the added stiffness it will afford. I mean after all, if you run a 102" SS whip, you would expect to
bang a few trees on your commute and should be used to the noise, yes> :)
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

Lost Ram wrote:I thought about the same thing Gunny but with a little twist to it, an adjustable one. It will be a little larger at the bottom and hollow so the upper part would be similar to yours and would slide into the bottom. The bottom would also have two set screws to maintain the adjust of the upper part. We build custom and racing torque converts here, I had to build up a pilot so I was turning a bushing in the lathe when I thought of that one. Anyway, just an idea for ya. Mine would adjust it from about 1-7" higher then no spring.
Thats a great Idea. You should make a prototype and see how it works out on your mobile.

I have thought about the "adjuster" for a long time. Turns out that a 1/4 wave non-loaded antenna is very broad-banded. So I have decided to focus my energies elsewhere. 108 is IMO the perfect length for an 11meter antenna.
Radio 75 wrote:Another "Xtreme Duty" product Gunny? ...
...Looks like a great product, bet the competition guys will love it while they are on the way to the location to melt down some coax.
The rest of the "normal" world should appreciate the added stiffness it will afford. I mean after all, if you run a 102" SS whip, you would expect to
bang a few trees on your commute and should be used to the noise, yes> :)
Thanks Radio. I have packed a lot of stainless into a small package. So, the profit margin is low. But, extreme duty is the only way to go. I have sold several to shoot out guys.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by »

Hey..

If a guy/gal needs to buy more than 1, is there a discount involved?
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.

383 Boogieman

Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

Yeah in fact, I can flat rate ship it so the weight wont matter. The riser works perfect for my pucks so, I can definitely work a deal with a purchase of both.
linx

Post by linx »

Those are sweet gunny! Great job as always bro!
AUDIO1
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by AUDIO1 »

FYI .02 -- Wilson Antenna has made a pair of these in stainless steel for years. If I recall correcty, Wilson makes an 8-inch and a 15-inch version, not quite as thick as these here in the thread.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by »

AUDIO1 wrote:FYI .02 -- Wilson Antenna has made a pair of these in stainless steel for years. If I recall correcty, Wilson makes an 8-inch and a 15-inch version, not quite as thick as these here in the thread.

Wilson antenna is not a CBRT sponsor and GUNNY is.

We try to support our CBRT Sponsors.

8)

383 Boogieman

murdoc
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Murdoc313
Antenna: Mr. Coily
Radio: Connex, RCI, Galaxy

Post by murdoc »

Niiice!!! Looks awesome GUNNY... Might have to get me one of those!!!

Murdoc
togaman
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: TOGAMAN
Radio: sears roadtalker

Post by togaman »

Ding ding ding!, looks like we have a winner there, no more floppy spring mount. :cheers:
4130 Land o' Lincoln
[/b]
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

AUDIO1 wrote:FYI .02 -- Wilson Antenna has made a pair of these in stainless steel for years. If I recall correcty, Wilson makes an 8-inch and a 15-inch version, not quite as thick as these here in the thread.
You are correct they do make a shaft. You are also correct in that they make a much smaller diameter shaft.

I am not competing with Wilson. I am in a higher quality, lower volume, small American business category. Many have suggested that I should have the mounts and such made overseas to increase volume and profit. I laugh at the suggestion. Those that want quality and strength as well as want to support a small U.S. Military Veteran owned business will shop with me.

Dont worry AUDIO1 I didnt take it the wrong way. Bombero is also correct, I pay for the right to advertise here.

To all of my loyal customers thank you for your support.
AUDIO1
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by AUDIO1 »

GUNNY wrote:
You are correct they do make a shaft. You are also correct in that they make a much smaller diameter shaft.

I am not competing with Wilson. I am in a higher quality, lower volume, small American business category. Many have suggested that I should have the mounts and such made overseas to increase volume and profit. I laugh at the suggestion. Those that want quality and strength as well as want to support a small U.S. Military Veteran owned business will shop with me.

Dont worry AUDIO1 I didnt take it the wrong way. Bombero is also correct, I pay for the right to advertise here.

To all of my loyal customers thank you for your support.
I know you're not competing with Wilson and are producing a heavier grade product. I pretty much buy nothing but heavy duty or premium grade products. Two thumbs up.
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

AUDIO1,
Thanks for the kind words... Like I said I didnt take it the wrong way.
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

Gents,
Just a bump and reminder.

Folks. I looked up the price on those Stainless Steel springs that Hustler makes and I'm here to tell you I have not found em for under $19.95. My riser is still $14.00 plus shipping.

Once they hit my website, they will be marked up. Thanks for readin....
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram »

PM sent Gunny, I want two.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

Thanks Lost Ram.

I will ship them out first thing tomorrow.
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram »

You have Money, i beat you to it Gunny.
Thanks, Kerry
Thomas Jefferson.
BushHog
Handle: Bushhog
Radio: general lee

Post by BushHog »

Those look great gunny I may have to get one to use here in TN lift that pred up buddy.
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

Lost Ram wrote:You have Money, i beat you to it Gunny.
Thanks, Kerry
Shipped as promised they will be there Monday.

HMMMMM if I could only get BushHog to buy something... And now a pic of the riser on Rubicon Express' 1KW+ Jeep YJ.

BushHog
Handle: Bushhog
Radio: general lee

Post by BushHog »

that may not be hard to do lol, im thinkin of gettin me a diffrent play vehicle may go all the way puck and all.
DanTaylor
Donor
Donor
Radio: Galaxy 959

Post by DanTaylor »

Question.

would this product help with the ownage of the nylon washers that the antenna goes on? I am running a power stick on both my personal truck and work truck and like they did 10+ years ago that are destroying the washers. I ahve done all I know to do by installing a metal washer over top of the nylon ones but the antenna is so beefy it just tears stuff up.
WORK TRUCK Galaxy 959 peaked and tweaked with echo
PLAY TRUCK Cobra 29 NWST peaked and tweaked
BASE Uniden Washington with a swing kit and a D-104
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

IMO, the riser will not help keep the washers from being damaged.

It is clear that you need a sturdier mount. Sparky's sells antenna studs that will help to prevent that issue. I believe that predator antennas also makes a heavy duty antenna stud. When and if you are ready to step up to a sturdy mount capable of handling any antenna, a puck mount is the way to go.
DanTaylor
Donor
Donor
Radio: Galaxy 959

Post by DanTaylor »

GUNNY wrote:IMO, the riser will not help keep the washers from being damaged.

It is clear that you need a sturdier mount. Sparky's sells antenna studs that will help to prevent that issue. I believe that predator antennas also makes a heavy duty antenna stud. When and if you are ready to step up to a sturdy mount capable of handling any antenna, a puck mount is the way to go.

Thanks for the response Gunny. Can a puck be mounted on the bed rail of a pick up truck? here is how my antenna is currently mounted
WORK TRUCK Galaxy 959 peaked and tweaked with echo
PLAY TRUCK Cobra 29 NWST peaked and tweaked
BASE Uniden Washington with a swing kit and a D-104