Ameritron AL-811 or ?

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Radio: Alot of 'em!!

Re: Ameritron AL-811 or ?

Post by Sporty Mike »

I'm a D&A man myself , either a good Maverick or a Phantom Triple Stage (their Cadillac of amps) They use the 6LQ6's which are pricey these days , but when run easy and not abused these amps sound great , don't splatter and are very reliable.

Mike
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!
Big blue
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lets Do This!
Antenna: M103C & Colossal 10K
Radio: Yaesu FT990; Home Brew 3-500Z

Post by Big blue »

Sporty Mike wrote:I'm a D&A man myself , either a good Maverick or a Phantom Triple Stage (their Cadillac of amps) They use the 6LQ6's which are pricey these days , but when run easy and not abused these amps sound great , don't splatter and are very reliable.

Mike

What Sporty Mike said. Am running the D&A Phantom as well and it works flawlessly. Bought the unit used and it still had D&A stamped tubes in it! Those same tubes are still in there (check out at about 70% on a reliable tester) and I continue to get healthy signal and modulation reports. The unit has been cleaned and recapped and that's about it.
BIG-C-181
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by BIG-C-181 »

I like my 811. Works well even with low drive.
galaxy95Tman
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by galaxy95Tman »

BIG-C-181 wrote:I like my 811. Works well even with low drive.
How much do you drive it with?
Turk182
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Middleman
Antenna: 3 Element Beam Horiz
Radio: Galaxy DX 959

Post by Turk182 »

BIG-C-181 wrote: June 27th, 2013, 12:28 pm I like my 811. Works well even with low drive.

So how would my 811H work on AM keyed by an RM-Italy KL-405 on low power, or about 50W-60W,...? (Definitely wouldn't push it past that), as the next setting pushes it over the century mark. Thanks in advance.
182 on the SW side of the Sandpile....73's
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

As a rule the 811 is a SSB/CW amp but it will do well on AM, just don't think that it is like a class C CB amp that will give you loads of swing modulation. Keep it under 50W AM carrier with some swing and it should do fine. Using it for AM is going to shorten the life of the tubes.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

Post by bluemeanie »

I've run lots of different amps over the years. Sweep tubes in Palomar, D&A , Kenrich, Alan, Yeasu and others. I've got steel tube amps as well. The big "secret" behind them all lasting a long time is having one that's in good shape, know how to tune it and most important is having the right driver. Tubes are expensive period. Some way more than others. The radios your planning on using as long as they hadn't been tweaked for big outputs are perfect for sweep te amps. All those old amps were built forr old school STOCK radios. 3.5 am and 10 to 12 sab. What they all did from factory. For what your looking at if you could find a RM Italy Klv400, uses 2 EL509 or a KLV 1000 low drive , uses 5 EL509. Both of those have rf keyers and 4 watts in will give around 200 or 500 out. Ive been using an Alan Jumbo that uses 2 EL 509 almost every time I key up for better than 10 years. Gives me a around 250 pep. EL 509 are spendy but are a rugged tube. All the hf amps will work but to get them to potential need a modulator. One or two pill transistor box.Have to use a foot switch to key them. As far I'm concerned that's just to tinkertoy for me. If you go that way just get a 2x4 pill box and roar on. Just like a classic car old gear needs tinkered with. Trouble is with tubes stick your finger in wrong place your widow will be disposing of it. If you have someone fairly close to help with repairs if you need them be a blessing. Some of these old boxes are better than others. D&A pretty good as are the Palomars. There ared others too. Just looked and I've gotten pretty windy. If you would like send me a pm. Help in any way I can. But don't be afraid of sweep tubes. Remember it's only money and who wants to leave it to the kids anyway.

[ Post made via Android ] Image