Thanks everyone,,goodbye wilson

Want to shout someone a friendly 4 n 1. Do it here, and put their name in the hall of fame!
lemmychatter
Donor
Donor
Antenna: wilson, firestik
Radio: uniden 510, tiger 40

Thanks everyone,,goodbye wilson

Post by lemmychatter »

Just wanted to send out a big thanks for everyone trying to help me out with my high swr problems. in the end I gave up on my trunk mounted Wilson 1000. not saying its not a good antenna but it wasn't working out for me. the final straw for me was everytime I shut the trunk it slowly would loosen from the lip no matter how tight I got the screws. I could never get the high swr figured out either. I think there was some kind of problem between the coil and mount. one thing I didn't like was if you didnt screw the coil down real tight you couldn't get continuity out the stinger. sometimes it was good,,sometimes not. oh well,,time to try something else. Thanks again
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Re: Thanks everyone,,goodbye wilson

Post by silvereagle1 »

Give the Sirio 5000 a try you'll be glad you did.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
mty pocketz
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: CocoTheGorilla
Antenna: 102" whip
Radio: cobra 25 ltd classic

Post by mty pocketz »

Looks like some kind of mini rocket on your trunk, ready to blast off
"America will never be defeated from the outside. If we falter, and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves" -Abraham Lincoln
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I agree keeping the mount tight would be enough of a problem for me to take it off. Did you try trimming the whip to see if the SWR came down, I am still thinking about why it wouldn't tune.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I second the Sirio 5000, everyone I know who have tried one has had nothing but nice things to say about them.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
lemmychatter
Donor
Donor
Antenna: wilson, firestik
Radio: uniden 510, tiger 40

Post by lemmychatter »

Those antennas are nice. they seem to be really popluar in the UK and not as common here for some reason. thanks blood,,i wondered why it wouldn't tune all night! haha,,it is one of those hair pulling moments though. for some reason I was getting bad continuity between the coax pin (near the cb) and the stinger. sometimes it would read as an open loop and then sometimes it would have contimuity. then the shield would read continuity between it and the stinger. I don't think that's supposed to. my main gripe besides bad swr was trunk mount in general. (not just picking on Wilson here) its just not a good idea on modern cars unless the lip is perfectly flat. most aren't. also todays cars have incredibly tight gaps between the rear glass and lid. the coax was hitting the glass abit and that put pressure on the mount which would loosen it. Thanks again
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

lemmychatter wrote:Those antennas are nice. they seem to be really popluar in the UK and not as common here for some reason. thanks blood,,i wondered why it wouldn't tune all night! haha,,it is one of those hair pulling moments though. for some reason I was getting bad continuity between the coax pin (near the cb) and the stinger. sometimes it would read as an open loop and then sometimes it would have contimuity. then the shield would read continuity between it and the stinger. I don't think that's supposed to. my main gripe besides bad swr was trunk mount in general. (not just picking on Wilson here) its just not a good idea on modern cars unless the lip is perfectly flat. most aren't. also todays cars have incredibly tight gaps between the rear glass and lid. the coax was hitting the glass abit and that put pressure on the mount which would loosen it. Thanks again
Their popular in the UK, because they are made in Italy...They have only been available in the States for "maybe" a year now...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

They can be bought here very easily. DNJ sells them. not too pricy either. Antenna and coax together under a hundred Shipped. Well worth the money.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
Unit469
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Stryker SR-955HP

Post by Unit469 »

I third the Sirio! Once i tuned mine, i got 1.0 swr!