Cb microphones

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor
Handle: East coast broadcaster
Radio: Cobra 2000

Cb microphones

Post by smoke blower »

I have a hard time with mikes 80% of them I try everyone says that there basey sounding which I have tried Turner+3 , silver eagle, astatic echomax 2000, and different astatic mikes is there something I can do to change that. Oh I tried each of them on different radios with same out come.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: Cb microphones

Post by jessejamesdallas »

You tried a D 104 and it sounded basey?

Usually they tend to sound tinnie....
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

I have a silver eagle but I don't like that Mike it picks up every noise in the back ground. I have a friend that has a Turner +3 which I have be sounds top shelf I hooked mine up to a cobra 25 like he did and everyone says its basey what can I do to change that. And yes the silver eagle sounds tintty the d104 hand Mike sounds real Tintty also. I would give anything to have a great studio sound I have paid alot of money for all different mikes people have said are the best sounding mikes but for me they sound bad trying to figure out what to buy or what to do to change this.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

What radio is it hooked to? Try turning the gain down on the mic and up on the radio.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

I hooked it to a Galaxy 2517, Galaxy 66 , and a Uniden grant and all the same outcome. What would be a real good mike that has good studio sound to it
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

smoke blower wrote:I hooked it to a Galaxy 2517, Galaxy 66 , and a Uniden grant and all the same outcome. What would be a real good mike that has good studio sound to it
I don't think your problem is with your Mic's, but more with CB Radio and what your wanting it to sound like. To get that studio-sound like your talking about you need something like Pro Tools or a mixer like you would use in music recording. A good Mic is part of it too, but you could spend hundreds of dollars on a Mic, and they would still not have a studio quality sound on a CB Radio without having something else inline to help the radio broadcast the way you want...Plus, if your radio has been peaked & tweaked to get every drop of watts out of it, there's not much of anything your going to be able to do to get a quality sound out of it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
cabo316
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: 2000GTL&138XLR

Post by cabo316 »

smoke blower wrote:I have a silver eagle but I don't like that Mike it picks up every noise in the back ground. I have a friend that has a Turner +3 which I have be sounds top shelf I hooked mine up to a cobra 25 like he did and everyone says its basey what can I do to change that. And yes the silver eagle sounds tintty the d104 hand Mike sounds real Tintty also. I would give anything to have a great studio sound I have paid alot of money for all different mikes people have said are the best sounding mikes but for me they sound bad trying to figure out what to buy or what to do to change this.
Is this friend close enough to go to his location? I think I would ask to try your mics on his equipment. If his +3 sounds proper, yours should sound the same at his location. If you DO find an answer, post it up...I'm getting ready to go thru the same check and eval on my +2 and +3 after having them in boxes for tooo long, and reinstalling my base station.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

Yes I can try that
Slim Pickins
Donor
Donor
Handle: Slim Pickins
Call Sign: VE1PEW
Radio: Realistic Navajo 457

Post by Slim Pickins »

Have you tried using a computer mic and sound out from your computer's sound card with an interface device to the mic on the radio. There are tons of audio mixing programs out there that use programs (plug ins) that can be used to tune the audio using your computer. Then you can plug into the mic socket using an interface. I played around with this and a dollar store computer mic and had food results and a lot of fun.
73,Slim

Insanity is hereditary......you get it from your children.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

Do you think maybe you could message me on some of the info I could use and exactly what I need If you don't mind
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

Have you tried the Turner Super Sidekick?? *It is more natural sounding*

I know well of your plight.... For years I used a Marantz stereo equalizer to cut the crud out and add a little more where the microphone was lacking.

Still, the Turner SSK.... COOL!! I got one. The turner SSK has a much softer and deeper tone for voice on side band. And it has the "punch" on the AM and FM modes too.
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

Smoke Blower I know you do not have a deep voice to cause this so that is out. are you by chance in a room that is causing some harmonics or echo sound when you talk? a buddy of mine years ago converted his garage to a radio room and he had a deep hollow sounding voice on his base radio. after he put some furniture in it and carpet on the floor his voice was back to normal. with some of the mics you are trying should give you a tinny higher pitch voice when you talk, such as the D104 base mic. not sure what is causing you to have this problem on ever radio you try themj on. so even changing caps inside the radio is not the way to solve the problem.if I think of some thing I will let you know. I have been thinking about this ever since you started the post.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

OK that will be great and my shop has alot of furniture in it also has carpet on the floor so I am not sure but alot of people say my voice is basey sounding the only two mikes I can use that isn't is a Uniden bear cat and a newer style Galaxy mike
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

you might try a 101 to 103 disk cap across the mic element connectors and see if one of them will help. one of the 3 might help. just not sure where to go with this one.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

OK like to both wires on the element it self I guess what you are saying is just jump the element with the cap
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

just try across the 2 wires at the mic and see if it helps any. may kill the audio completely but try a lower value if it does. never seen this problem before. are you sure some one is not just messing with you. never heard a D104 basing sounding.
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

If you do use a D-104... you can use these things *provided that you are handy with a soldering iron*

They have hi fi upgrade kits for your D-104 to replace your mic element. :shock: :cheers: :cheers: It really kicks butt too, if you love your lollipop.

It is a never-ending quest; oh so I do remember :elephant:
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

A D104, which stand model doesn't matter would give those radios there best audio, the trick to a D104 is to adjust the mic's gain just enough to produce a quality sound and not pick up all the background noise or the hash sound from being turned up too high, that is the biggest mistake made when using a D104. Another thing that works well is changing the crystal or ceramic mic element and convert it over to a electret mic element, these elements are used in studio mics and give the D104 a more natural sound, again as long as it's not turned up to the max.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department