Turner +2 mike paint job

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
kskev
Donor
Donor

Re: Turner +2 mike paint job

Post by kskev »

Good tip Mr. Bubble!
Cant wait to see the finished mic!
KsKev
326 - From the Flatlands of Kansas
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

Photos are your BEST friend! I personally use a Canon Power Shot SX170 IS.

I got it at my local pawn shop NIB trading off some old Redfield rifle scopes I didn't need. What a nice deal!

If you have a digital camera, use it while you are fixing things too!
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

It's been one week and the primer has now fully cured.

On the first mike, the primer has an even surface and is ready for the base color. I painted it Metallic Blue (photos attached.) Needs to dry before I reassemble.

On the second mike, the primer had some irregular surfaces around the opening for the PTT bar (photo attached). This probably occurred because I did not apply the primer with a light even sweep and there was some excess accumulation.

It's tough to get this "just right" when using rattle cans on small items. When you're painting a large patio bench these minor blemishes are unseen and don't really matter. But they are very apparent on a small item. So I sanded down those problem areas with high grit fine paper and then a Magic Eraser. While this sanding smoothed the surface, it also removed the primer in some spots leaving small patches of bare metal. So I reapplied primer to this area. When it cures to a smooth surface I will paint this second mike Metallic Red.

It's an iterative process, especially when you're not a pro. The key thing is to remain patient and calmly rework as needed. Remember this is supposed to be a fun hobby to relieve the stress in your life, not be the cause of it :)

Next week I will try to get the second mike painted Red, then I will reassemble both mikes. Stay tuned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cabo316
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: 2000GTL&138XLR

Post by cabo316 »

That blue +2 is awesome. And thanks for the internal wiring pic. I have a +2 that was a freebie and has never worked. Opened it up and there are several wires loose and looks like a child went crazy with a soldering gun. I may be able to rewire/solder correctly with your pic. AND I might just try a repaint because of this thread. That mic is beautiful.
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

cabo316 wrote:That blue +2 is awesome. And thanks for the internal wiring pic. I have a +2 that was a freebie and has never worked. Opened it up and there are several wires loose and looks like a child went crazy with a soldering gun. I may be able to rewire/solder correctly with your pic. AND I might just try a repaint because of this thread. That mic is beautiful.
If you want a high resolution image of the wiring pic, just send me a PM with your regular email address.
cabo316
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: 2000GTL&138XLR

Post by cabo316 »

Will do, and thank you.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Mic is coming along nicely! I like that color of blue too...Your right about the stress part too...But it's amazing how you can't have one without the other...Every time I start a simple project, like painting a Mic or whatever, before I'm threw, I'm always pulling my hair out! :lol:

I would like to get a air brush set-up to try on one next...Once you master using one, there's all kinds of cool effects you can do on small projects.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

jessejamesdallas wrote:I would like to get a air brush set-up to try on one next...Once you master using one, there's all kinds of cool effects you can do on small projects.
I agree on the air brush but the problem is that you need to practice with it enough to acquire the skill, almost like learning a musical instrument. I don't anticipate using it enough to reach the skill level where my results would surpass what I can do with the rattle cans now.
kskev
Donor
Donor

Post by kskev »

Looking Good there Mr Bubble!
That blue is cool, Cant wait to see the red one finished!
I have the Turner +2 mic as well, they are just neat looking!!!

After seeing JJD's D-104 mics painted all up, it really got me wanting to do a project like that as well!!!
REALLY liked the "John Deere" mic!!!!
Looking around Ebay for a not so good looking D-104 mic that works good and should hopefully get one for a decent price!
Anyway, good job there Mr Bubble!!!!
KsKev
326 - From the Flatlands of Kansas
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor

Post by Rabbit Ears »

Dang! That's really a swell looking Plus-2 mic!! :shock: :cheers:

My buddy has one that could use a coat of paint too. I do now a guy at an auto body shop that could mix up a batch paint and re-spray it. Yes to the lighter primer. Good idea!! :cheers:

He has an old Tram D-201A that he is using with a D-104. After he saw the D-104 mics that Jessejamesdallas posted.... now he is rubbing his hands together and licking his chops! "PETERBUILT" he grinned.

I just can't wait to see his mic!
USA FOREVER
Turner Super Side Kick
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

The D 104's make good project Mic's to fix up. There's a guy that comes down to the Manchester TN. CB Break every year with some D 104's to sell that has them painted up in different NFL colors and logos... Think I've seen some of his listed on flea-bay.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor

Post by Rabbit Ears »

I just shot flat black powder coat on my Turner SSK.... Beforehand, the aluminum decals came off really nice too.... Zippo fluid. Was easy to shoot grey primer and then the flat black.

Now looking at the John Deere D-104, got me! Now that's killer awesome! We got a Deere dealer here in town!!

Turner mics are pretty easy to take apart, you know. But prepping them......that's another matter. I just used JASCO paint remover to get the thing down to the pot metal and sanded with wet or dry up to 400 grit then soaked the housing and neck with vinegar for two hours. Then rinsed off with very hot water. When dry..... ready to prime and powder coat.

Thanks for the ideas guys. What does a retired Navy guy do?? Paint stuff.
USA FOREVER
Turner Super Side Kick
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

Rabbit Ears wrote:... I just used JASCO paint remover to get the thing down to the pot metal and sanded with wet or dry up to 400 grit then soaked the housing and neck with vinegar for two hours. Then rinsed off with very hot water. When dry..... ready to prime and powder coat...
I also used JASCO paint remover to get these mikes down to bare metal. It works well but one warning ... it's very caustic to human skin. You should wear chemical-resistant neoprene gloves while using this paint remover.

-- Jan 27th, '16, 09:44 --

For comparison and further stimulation, I'm attaching a link to a website showing a Turner +2 mike and a clone mike that were hand-painted by a real artist. The site text is in Italian, but you don't need to read the text to appreciate the photos and how he was inspired by the paint jobs on some fancy automobiles. The results are a little too flashy for my tastes, but some of you might like it.

http://www.in3eci.it/index.ph ... ng&idm=292
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor

Post by Rabbit Ears »

I used vinyl gloves my wife uses for her hair.... the same blue ones the medical folks use. Sorry I forgot to mention.... nasty stuff.
USA FOREVER
Turner Super Side Kick
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

While I'm waiting for the primer re-do to cure on my second mike, I'll post back in a few days to discuss the pros & cons of using a Clear Coat over the base color.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

MrBubble wrote:
Rabbit Ears wrote:... I just used JASCO paint remover to get the thing down to the pot metal and sanded with wet or dry up to 400 grit then soaked the housing and neck with vinegar for two hours. Then rinsed off with very hot water. When dry..... ready to prime and powder coat...
I also used JASCO paint remover to get these mikes down to bare metal. It works well but one warning ... it's very caustic to human skin. You should wear chemical-resistant neoprene gloves while using this paint remover.

For comparison and further stimulation, I'm attaching a link to a website showing a Turner +2 mike and a clone mike that were hand-painted by a real artist. The site text is in Italian, but you don't need to read the text to appreciate the photos and how he was inspired by the paint jobs on some fancy automobiles. The results are a little too flashy for my tastes, but some of you might like it.

Thanks for the link...That Turner in the link is along the idea I was thinking of, to do a Jeff Gordon D 104...Which is why I was thinking of needing a air brush to do the flames.
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor

Post by Rabbit Ears »

I sure dig your John Deere D-104.... our local John Deere dealer would just love to have it next to his Cobra 142GTL.

The colors are perfect!!
USA FOREVER
Turner Super Side Kick
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

Rabbit Ears wrote:I sure dig your John Deere D-104.... our local John Deere dealer would just love to have it next to his Cobra 142GTL.

The colors are perfect!!
Color's better be perfect...It's done in John Deere Green and John Deere Yellow! lol
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor

Post by Rabbit Ears »

Yuppp!

Great tractors!
USA FOREVER
Turner Super Side Kick
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

Here's another tip on painting your mike that sounds obvious in hindsight but may not occur to you otherwise.

To start off this multi-step process, you're going to strip all the paint off your mike to get the surface down to bare metal. In this case, it doesn't matter what you paint or draw on your mike before you strip it because it's ALL COMING OFF. So if you have some ideas and visions in your head about the paint scheme for your mike, go ahead and paint on top of the original finish before you strip. And you can be quick and sloppy about it because it's just a quick look to give you a visual grasp of how your mental vision appears on the mike itself. I must have painted three different patterns before I decided on my final choice.

I'm attaching a photo of one of my "brilliant" visions. I thought painting the head read and the body blue with a black collar to separate these colors would look sharp. Sounds great, right? Well here is a photo of how it looked after some painters tape and quick sprays. I think it looks awful! But I wouldn't have know that unless I experimented first.

Stay tuned for pros and cons of Clear Coating.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Image Image

Looks a little bit like "Woody Woodpecker"except he had a white collar, waiting to see the finished product.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

Hah, I thought it looked like a blue rooster wearing a tuxedo!
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

MDYoungblood wrote:Image Image

Looks a little bit like "Woody Woodpecker"except he had a white collar, waiting to see the finished product.

3's

Greg
HAHAHAHAHA! :cheers:

sorta looks like this guy too -> :bigsmurf:
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor

Post by Rabbit Ears »

LOL....HAHAHAHA!! Woody Woodpecker! :clown: :cheers:

I had to leave the computer and look at my little blue Plus 2 and imagine it being like yours. I can't. LOL!

That's killer!! Now to reassemble the thing!!
USA FOREVER
Turner Super Side Kick
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
PA629

Post by PA629 »

MrBubble wrote:

Just a quick post you may/may not find interesting. The pics of the black Turners in the Italian link before the flames were added is how my original Turner +2 looks. It was purchased new in 1965 and was made in black with the chrome ring around the head for Sears, Roebuck, and Co. by Turner. I purposely bought it due to the color being something other than that ugly (to me, at the time, anyway) blue, plus it was $5 less than what the Plus 2's were going for. Five bucks was a lot of scratch for a kid pinching pennies back in 1965. :lol: I still have the mic around here someplace in one of my old radio storage bins. Just a F.Y.I.