Replacing PTT switch in Turner RK56

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
Don357
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Hound Dog
Antenna: Tram TBC9
Radio: Connex 3300HP,

Replacing PTT switch in Turner RK56

Post by Don357 »

Hello. New to this forum. I am a truck driver and familiar with radios but not with repair. However with the lack of technicians in my area, I decided to try a "simple" repair myself. The PTT switch spring in my favorite old Turner RK56 broke and I managed to find a CB shop in a truck stop but didn't have the mic with me so I bought a switch the tech said would work from an Astatic mic, but the pins are different. I wired it like the tech said and it will key up, but no audio. Apparently, something is not quite right. Can anyone help me with the proper wire locations? Oh by the way, it was wired for a Cobra/Galaxy radio. Thanks for any help, I am confident someone here knows what to do.
pabxone

Re: Replacing PTT switch in Turner RK56

Post by pabxone »

Most likely it will be one of the 2 wires coming off the mike element to the switch.

One of the cartridge wires goes to a pin on the switch that also has another wire on it already - That pin will be the 2nd pin counting from the end of the switch.

The other wire from the mike cartridge goes to the 5th or 6th pin on the switch - There should be wires on both pin 5 and pin 6 - one comes from the mike cord and should be white , the other goes to the cartridge.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello Don357,
Welcome to the forum. Not sure which switch he sold you but if it fit in the mike and is switching TX and RX thats great and half the battle. The switch should have 6 pins and this little diagram should help,
As a new member when you get a chance could you post a intro in the "Welcome to the Foum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , so others can say "Hi", thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
pabxone

Post by pabxone »

There is a wiring diagram here :-
http://www.cbtricks.com/mic_m ... king56.pdf

That is how it would be wired from the factory - yours may or may not be the same
Don357
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Hound Dog
Antenna: Tram TBC9
Radio: Connex 3300HP,

Post by Don357 »

I knew that I could count on you guys to lend a helping hand. After perusing several different diagrams, I got my fk56 working. Just in time too, as the stock mic on my 29 is going out. Thanks again guys.