Do you know

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Do you know

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

I have a ranger 6300 I'm taking the amp out and putting it in something else I don't know what the black,white and the black,brown wire is used for and do I need these two wires at all

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Do you know

Post by MDYoungblood »

Here is the schematic, see if you can figure out where they go. Hint, one goes to the transmit circuit, the other is to the SWR circuit.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radio ... 50_sch.pdf

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

I'm putting the amp in another radio I figure out it will not kick on unless the transmit wire is hooked up to 8v not sure if that is the right voltages but it will come on when its hooked up to that. I would like to find the wiring diagram for just the amp there has to be one out there somewhere.
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

chopper the schematic that was left for you has the amp section at the very bottom of the schematic. since the pic you left looks like you have the old radio also would help you figure out how to hook it up.
looking at the schematic it looks like you have 7 wires that hook up for the amp. I did not notice it showing a color code. so you will need to look at the old radio to see what wire hooks up where.
from looking at the schematic you have a positive and ground wire that goes to the power plug. then you have a TX and Ground wire to activate the amp when keyed. then 1 wire will go to the so239 connector and 1 wire will hook to the lead you disconnected from the so239 plug for watts to feed the amp from the stock final.
I do not see a need to try to hook up the swr lead since your radio you are putting it in will not have the same set up the 6300 has.the swr lead should have been a failsafe portion so if the swr went high it would shut the amp off to save the pills. have never worked on one of these radios but this should get you in the right direction.
do not try to ask for wire colors to hook up. some one would have to have the same amp to help you but since you have the radio you should be able to look at it. the amp board may have where the leads go to marked on the board if you look close at it. the schematic shows you what wire goes where. it has them listed as swr,vcc.gnd. so hopefully they have it on the stock amp board.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

sonoma, you are right about the SWR lead being a fail-safe, most who owned that radio always thought something was wrong with the radio's amp because the SWR was too high and it wouldn't key up, I think it is a feedback circuit, hence the 2 wires on it. The i/p and o/p wires are the RG194 coax to and from the radio and antenna connector, the +8v has to go to the transmit section to turn the amp on when keyed, and ground is anywhere on the board.
EZ CHOPPER, what radio are you modifying, easier to be of more help that way.

3's

Greg

EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

I'm putting in a cobra 2000 gtl base I think I got this figured out just got home going out to the garage and see what catches on fire lol
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

What power supply you plan to use?

3's

Greg

sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

hope you are not going to try to run it off the cobra 2000 power supply. it just barely handles the main board after it is peaked.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

was wanting to but run a separate wire. I did try and now my power is a little lower so I'm going to have to figure that out. the good new I did get it to work.