Analyzer Question

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
Aughtry
Donor
Donor
Handle: Aughtry 722
Call Sign: K4TXN
Antenna: President Iowa
Radio: President Bill FCC

Analyzer Question

Post by Aughtry »

With the new radio on the way, and upgrades to the mobile I'm wanting an antenna analyzer, but money is running out. I'm looking at the MFJ-207 for price.

It doesn't have a digital readout for what frequency it's on, just a dial and guess, so I'd like to use a frequency counter to set it. Thing is, I have a DOSY FC50S in line frequency counter. It requires you key the radio to get a reading. It has no direct connection. Will the FC50 get a reading from the MFJ-207?

I'm ignorant of the difference in getting a reading in line vs direct connection to a plug on the radio or the bnc on the MFJ.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Aughtry 7 double-deuce waivin' atcha from Prisontown, TX
President Bill II FCC AM/FM with President Iowa antenna
Yaesu FTM-400 with Larsen NMO2/70B antenna
Yaesu FT-891 with various antennas
Tex.Proud on IG
Amateur - K4TXN
GMRS - WQZF521
Aughtry
Donor
Donor

Re: Analyzer Question

Post by Aughtry »

Or should I just bite the bullet and get the MFJ-213?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Tex.Proud on IG
Amateur - K4TXN
GMRS - WQZF521
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

well the first question i should have asked is , if the clarifier is "unlocked",, then i sorta wonder how you could get a reading if you didnt key up,,so,you should be fine with what you have, set it, make a note of its position , use the radio and remember how it sounds. other guys can give you reports as to if it sounds off freq.
if your drifting, thats a little bit of a different problem.
if your money is running out, send me what is left for safe keeping. haha
Bluerunner
Donor
Donor
Handle: BlueRunner
Antenna: Starduster
Radio: Cobra 142

Post by Bluerunner »

If you are doing anything that needs an antenna analyzer like making home made antennas then you want the MFJ-213, you really want the built in frequency counter.

Most of us get by just fine with just an SWR meter.

I started with the MFJ- 207, later added an external frequency counter. Too much equipment to handle, very unwieldy.

Then I got the Autec RF-1, with everything built in. Small & very handy. A little more touchy with the adjustments than I liked but was good enough.

Wife got me a MFJ-213 and I never looked back.

Add up the cost of the 207, stand alone frequency counter and the RF-1 and I could have easily gotten the 213 in the first place and avoided a lot of aggravation.

Unless you are an experienced radio guy with a technical background all the various readings that are available on an analyzer might not mean much to you. Easy enough to learn on the internet, but you may be spending a good bit of time studying on it to learn what the readings mean and how it affects your setup.

-- Wednesday, 08 March 2017, 20:16 PM --

That DOSY FC50S probably takes no less than 1-2 watts to get a reading. That will blow up your 207 0r 213. The analyzers only take an input of milli / micro watts.
Hook an analyzer directly to the output of a radio and it will probably turn into popcorn.

Study on how to get the signal low enough to avoid damage. I use an oscilloscope probe (with 10X atenuator on it if needed) and just a few loops of wire around the coax to get a strong enough reading for the frequency counter.

You may already know this stuff, but if not it might prevent you from letting all the smoke out of your equipment.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The MFJ-207 puts out enough signal to get the FC50 to read a frequency, I have one and used it for years building antennas. Just put the counter inline. I looked at the MFJ-213, I didn't look at the manual so I can't say. If I were you I'd wait and save up for a MFJ-259, I think you would be happier with one.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

I have the mfj259 analyzer and like it very well. I had one of the cheaper versions to start with and was not happy with it. if you can wait for a 259 as MDY mentioned it does a lot more. I think you would be happier with a better one.
The DB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: The DB
Antenna: ¼λ Mobile Antenna.
Radio: Galaxy DX 55HP

Post by The DB »

The MFJ-207 is not really an antenna analyzer per say. It doesn't give you any information a well tuned SWR meter won't already tell you. It is nice that it is self contained, but that is the only real difference between it and SWR meter.

What are you planning on doing with said "antenna analyzer"?

The DB
19dt2120
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: 19DT2120
Antenna: 11m Inv V & G5RV
Radio: FT897,IC-756proIII

Post by 19dt2120 »

For occasionally use ,the chinese SWR analyzers will do the job also . You can find them on ebay and they are cheap !

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum ... 259.0.html

http://www.pa1ca.nl/from-chin ... d-or-ugly/
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

The Sark-100 is interesting, looks to do the same as the MR-100 in the first link. I'll check out a couple more YouTube's to see what other functions it has.

3's

Greg

Aughtry
Donor
Donor

Post by Aughtry »

Bluerunner wrote:If you are doing anything that needs an antenna analyzer like making home made antennas then you want the MFJ-213, you really want the built in frequency counter.

Most of us get by just fine with just an SWR meter.

I started with the MFJ- 207, later added an external frequency counter. Too much equipment to handle, very unwieldy.

Then I got the Autec RF-1, with everything built in. Small & very handy. A little more touchy with the adjustments than I liked but was good enough.

Wife got me a MFJ-213 and I never looked back.

Add up the cost of the 207, stand alone frequency counter and the RF-1 and I could have easily gotten the 213 in the first place and avoided a lot of aggravation.

Unless you are an experienced radio guy with a technical background all the various readings that are available on an analyzer might not mean much to you. Easy enough to learn on the internet, but you may be spending a good bit of time studying on it to learn what the readings mean and how it affects your setup.

-- Wednesday, 08 March 2017, 20:16 PM --

That DOSY FC50S probably takes no less than 1-2 watts to get a reading. That will blow up your 207 0r 213. The analyzers only take an input of milli / micro watts.
Hook an analyzer directly to the output of a radio and it will probably turn into popcorn.

Study on how to get the signal low enough to avoid damage. I use an oscilloscope probe (with 10X atenuator on it if needed) and just a few loops of wire around the coax to get a strong enough reading for the frequency counter.

You may already know this stuff, but if not it might prevent you from letting all the smoke out of your equipment.
Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning. I have an A.A.S. in Electronics Engineering, that I haven't really used since I got it, so understanding the results of an analyzer is not foreign to me. I may not have used my degree in years, but the knowledge stays with you...If you jar it loose with a hobby that gets you back into desoldering/soldering components in your radio and looking into things that actually use the skills.

I'm upgrading just about everything concerning the mobile rig, and bringing the Galaxy DX959 into the apartment. I'll be playing with home brew antennas that I can put on a balcony. That's why the analyzer. Having more than just the MFJ 207 would be much better for the long run. I was just on a (tax return) spending spree and wanted something to get started with. I think I'll keep my few dollars left and wait for something more valuable to the hobby.

I appreciate the insight.

-- Thursday, 09 March 2017, 19:52 PM --
19dt2120 wrote:For occasionally use ,the chinese SWR analyzers will do the job also . You can find them on ebay and they are cheap !

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum ... 259.0.html

http://www.pa1ca.nl/from-chin ... d-or-ugly/
In looking I came across the SARK 100, but I'm a bit particular. The videos and reviews of it turned me off. As does most chinese knockoff stuff. I do realize you said "For occasional use" and agree with that, and if I weren't my skeptical, particular self I'd jump on it.

I appreciate your info though. That's why I'm here. The friendly advise and knowledge that can be gained here is immeasurable for the CB hobby!

-- Thursday, 09 March 2017, 19:57 PM --
The DB wrote:The MFJ-207 is not really an antenna analyzer per say. It doesn't give you any information a well tuned SWR meter won't already tell you. It is nice that it is self contained, but that is the only real difference between it and SWR meter.

What are you planning on doing with said "antenna analyzer"?

The DB
I posted this in the very beginning of my frustrating search. After a while I came to the same conclusion that you mention. Yeah, I'm a rookie radio guy! As for ;the answer to your question...if you've gotten to this point you've seen it. :aaargh:

-- Thursday, 09 March 2017, 20:01 PM --

Thanks for all the responses folks! I'm learning here! I'm remember and recalling old knowledge here! This hobby is kicking my brain into reminiscent knowledge mode! I love it! Every bit of input helps! Yeah, yer all prolly seein' all tha exclamation points and thinkin' "Why's this feller yellin!". I'm not. Just enjoying this stuff and having fun!
Tex.Proud on IG
Amateur - K4TXN
GMRS - WQZF521
Aughtry
Donor
Donor

Post by Aughtry »

I appreciate all the input folks, and the PM MDYoungblood. I reluctantly bit the bullet and got this...

I still have the new radio and some LMR-400 on the way for the mobile setup, but I had to play with the existing setup.
Apparently using a standard SWR meter I had my antenna 2 inches too short. Luckily there was more than enough whip left inside the top shaft of the Predator 10K.

Here's the results after adjustment.

I scanned 220Khz either side of 27.185 covering the 11 meter band.

And the summary.

I think I'm doing O.K. with the mobile. Can't wait to get the RCI2970N4, LMR-400 coax, and put up the Bad To The Bone!
Tex.Proud on IG
Amateur - K4TXN
GMRS - WQZF521
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Excellent choice and now I'm jealous. I might push the button on the one I PM'ed you about.

3's

Greg

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

MDY will you PM me the seller on this AA 30 analyzer? I would like to look at the price and so on.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

PM back to you sonoma.

3's

Greg

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

thanks for the PM. just got it a few minutes ago.