Would this be a good base amp?

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
RodinKy
Donor
Donor
Antenna: IMAX 2000/Maco Comet
Radio: DX2517 & Mark IV

Would this be a good base amp?

Post by RodinKy »

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: Would this be a good base amp?

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Great for AM...Not so great on SSB.

I have the 1x4 XForce base amp and it's just fine on AM, and even tho it has a SSB delay switch, most say on SSB I sound distorted or just not very clear, no mater how much I try to back off the dk..

I also have a old Palomar 2x4 tube amp, and that thing kicks tail on AM and SSB...get nothing but compliments all the time...and for what that XForce box your looking at cost, I could have bought 6 more Palomar 2x4 tube amps! :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RodinKy
Donor
Donor

Post by RodinKy »

Thanks JJD, I have a Varmit 250, but it doesn't like my 2517, it works fine with the Mark IV but the galaxy drives it too hard. Also old tube amps are hard to come by up here and when you get one you can't be sure what golden screwdriver has been in it. Not really many reliable repair shops in the state that you can trust if you know what I mean so I was looking at the Xforce as a viable way to get out a little further. Not many sidebanders around here just two others besides myself so mostly it would be used on AM.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

XForce makes good box's, One I have, I haven't had any problems out of it...Only thing you would need for that one your looking at, is maybe a dedicated circuit for it, since it pulls 20amp's...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RodinKy
Donor
Donor

Post by RodinKy »

JJD I have an Xforce X600-B on order can't wait to get it.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

RodinKy wrote: May 12th, 2017, 12:12 pm JJD I have an Xforce X600-B on order can't wait to get it.
Should be happy with that...Just be sure to do what they say and have your radios DK adjusted so your DK with amp ON is about a 100w's and swinging from there, and that box should last you a long time.

Don't know anything about the new "PP100" transistors XForce is using now, mine has the DEI's and was one of the last box's they built using the DEI's before switching over to the PP100's...But I haven't herd anything negative about the PP100's.
Crusher
Donor
Donor
Handle: Crusher
Radio: Cobra 29

Post by Crusher »

If the PP100's are run like XForce recommends, it will last a long time. The PP100's are very similar to the HG2879's.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image