Whats a good mic

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
nniiss
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Whats a good mic

Post by nniiss »

Back when i was younger the Road King 56 was the mic to have. Hover the RK miss now don't seem to be the same as the old ones. What is your mic of choice?
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Whats a good mic

Post by sonoma »

I still use the RK56 mics since mine are the old ones. ever so often you can find them on the auction site used.
PA629

Post by PA629 »

For a non-powered mic, the SkyThumper ST-65DX works well. In the realm of powered mics, the RF Ltd. 2018 Extreme with all the noise crap OFF is a good performer, for a noise cancelling mic the SRA-198 and the new Palomar SL-41 work well. Ultimately, whatever mic your voice sounds best with is the best choice.
nniiss
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by nniiss »

The SRA-198 was one i was looking at and i think i will try. Thanks!
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

you did not mention that mic in your post. the 198 are good sounding mics.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

The SRA 198 is a good noise cancelling Mic no doubt...Just be prepared you almost have to eat the thing to be herd! Need to get it as close to your teeth as you can without knocking out your teeth! :mrgreen:

Plus, the SRA 198 is a dual-purpose Mic! It also doubles as a self-defense weapon! If attacked, you can swing the Mic by the cord and whack your attacker up-beside his head and knock his butt out! :dance:

SRA 198 available just about everywhere around $30
RF Limited 2018 Extreme no longer made, but can still be found between $80-100. New.
Palomar SL-41 out of production at the moment (looking for new manufacturer) but still available New around $60 supply's are limited so if you see one, you better grab it!

RK56 IMO are junk...

Of the Mic's listed, if it were me I would go with the Palomar SL-41...I have all these Mic's and they are all very good choices, but I have to give the edge to the Palomar...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I like the Ranger SRA-198 and Jesse is right about it being a good weapon in a bar fight but I bought one of the Palomar SL41's and it is one of the nicest noise cancelling mic's made. First thing you need to do when you get one, (check the sponsor's), hopefully they are in stock, (waited 6 weeks for mine), is to change the AAA battery inside, the one in it is half dead.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

MDYoungblood wrote: November 6th, 2017, 5:07 pm I like the Ranger SRA-198 and Jesse is right about it being a good weapon in a bar fight but I bought one of the Palomar SL41's and it is one of the nicest noise cancelling mic's made. First thing you need to do when you get one, (check the sponsor's), hopefully they are in stock, (waited 6 weeks for mine), is to change the AAA battery inside, the one in it is half dead.

3's

Greg
X2 on changing out the battery!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

I bought a 2018 mic the other day. it arrived saturday.cost was 27.95 shipped to the house and it is clean and works good. that is one advantage to being up all night and see what shows up. I have got many a good buy's that way. if you snooze you lose.
just had to post that guy's.
Trapper444
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: I Max 2000
Radio: Ranger base 2995

Post by Trapper444 »

:?: How about the ASTATIC D104M6B?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

The new Astatic mic's seem not to have the punch of the older models but would be fine if your radio just needs a little boost in modulation, just one thing is it will increase the noise around you as well. If you could find an older model that would be excellent.

3's

Greg

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

sonoma wrote: November 6th, 2017, 7:02 pm I bought a 2018 mic the other day. it arrived saturday.cost was 27.95 shipped to the house and it is clean and works good. that is one advantage to being up all night and see what shows up. I have got many a good buy's that way. if you snooze you lose.
just had to post that guy's.
New????
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

The best handheld microphone Astatic ever put out was the 575. I have a local that owned a CB shop back in the 70's and 80's that still has a few NIB, I've tried to get one from him but it seems the only way is to get it from his widow when he gone. The prices they are going for on the auction site makes you think they are made out of gold.

3's

Greg

Big blue
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lets Do This!
Antenna: M103C & Colossal 10K
Radio: Yaesu FT990; Home Brew 3-500Z

Post by Big blue »

Electro Voice RE20 is the bomb.

ext/dmzx/imageupload/img-file ... f68f8e.jpg
PA629

Post by PA629 »

MDYoungblood wrote: November 7th, 2017, 4:31 pm The best handheld microphone Astatic ever put out was the 575. I have a local that owned a CB shop back in the 70's and 80's that still has a few NIB, I've tried to get one from him but it seems the only way is to get it from his widow when he gone. The prices they are going for on the auction site makes you think they are made out of gold.

3's

Greg
I also have a local who bought a bunch before they were discontinued (my antenna Elmer, in fact). He's still got 6 BNIB, I mentioned I'd always wanted to try a 575, and he sold me 1 for the insane amount of $40, just what he paid for it. :shock: It's certainly a decent performing mic, but I don't think it's all that and a bag of chips, as to demand the crazy prices people are paying for them these days. :lol:
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

Barjan handheld for $10 , replicates loud or soft
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Big blue wrote: November 8th, 2017, 7:15 pm Electro Voice RE20 is the bomb.
ext/dmzx/imageupload/img-file ... f68f8e.jpg
A whole lot of bang there for a whole lot of bucks.

3's

Greg

De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

Best Mic I've used it the 575-M6. They really sound that good on CB and also use a few more on the Amateur Radios. Always get good tone quality reports and they sound natural with some punch. They have a mic gain slider on the right and a tone control slider on the left.
973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: A-99
Radio: Pierce Simpson and S

Post by 973Kid »

I am a creature of habit. 22 years ago I started driving a truck and the first year I bought an RK56 and a Cobra 25. I still have both. Since then I would pick up RK56 mic's anytime I found some driver needing money. They would sell them for $25. I probably bought 10 and still have 5 or 6. For my base I love the d-104 and if I have a choice I will always choose the d-104 and an RK56.

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 ] Image
NB288
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by NB288 »

I ordered a St 65 Dx and received a SS 56 instead. I have an st 65 DX wired for my yaesu and it kicks butt. This one I received is not as impressive so far but I just got it today. I contacted the seller and am waiting on a call back.