Image

Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Help with installing an Antenna, or just choosing the right antenna to go with your radio, or your mobile.

Moderator: JR Moderator

User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 10:57 AM

Hello CBRT, Have had a couple members ask about my indoor antenna setup. I guess it's hard to believe. But here are some pics for y'all

Image

Image

Image




Hope this works
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln




User avatar
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Posts: 230
Joined: Wednesday, 11 May 2016, 7:17 AM
Name: jon
Cell Phone: 5183353857

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by jon6667 » Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 11:03 AM

how well does it perform. i have one
i could never get the swr below 3.

User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 11:07 AM

jon6667 wrote:
Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 11:03 AM
how well does it perform. i have one
i could never get the swr below 3.
Still trying to get it tuned in. Adjusting the tuning rings. Today is the first sunny day we've had in a couple days. So hopefully today is the day.
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln



User avatar
Bobcat
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Posts: 126
Joined: Wednesday, 17 January 2007, 9:02 AM
Name: Bob
Location: Deer Park, TX

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Bobcat » Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 11:13 AM

You, sir, are committing an act of blatant and shameless desperation!

I APPLAUD YOU!!!!!!!!!

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image

User avatar
Mtn Lynx
Donor
Donor
Posts: 429
Joined: Sunday, 11 September 2016, 1:00 AM
Radio: Anytone AT 6666
Antenna: A99/Wire dipole
Name: Cletus
Location: Western AK

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Mtn Lynx » Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 15:08 PM

Bobcat wrote:
Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 11:13 AM
You, sir, are committing an act of blatant and shameless desperation!

I APPLAUD YOU!!!!!!!!!

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
lol x 2
\m/ >.< \m/
Anytone AT 6666
Galaxy DX 959
Galaxy DX 2517
Cobra 148 GTL
1/2 wave Dipole
Solarcon A99
TWRC Member: WR223




User avatar
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Posts: 230
Joined: Wednesday, 11 May 2016, 7:17 AM
Name: jon
Cell Phone: 5183353857

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by jon6667 » Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 10:48 AM

let me know if you get it to tune.
mine is in the box in the closet. i tried everything i could think of cant get the swr below 3

User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 11:34 AM

jon6667 wrote:
Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 10:48 AM
let me know if you get it to tune.
mine is in the box in the closet. i tried everything i could think of cant get the swr below 3
Was doing not to bad. Had the swr down to ch1@ 1.3, ch20@ 1.8 and ch40@2.4. So I turned the rings up a notch, and now my readings are ch1@1.0, ch20@1.7, ch40@2.1. Then tried to tweak it a little more. And now I'm not getting anything. I do not know enough about this yet. So not sure if the weather had anything to do. Or just the fact I have set up inside. Not sure, going to do some more reading. I think I'm going to try and run my coax through a old pipe into the house. And just stick in the ground on top a 4 ft mass. At least I can get it on the roof. If I don't die trying to get it up there. I'll keep you up to date
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln



User avatar
MDYoungblood
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7318
Joined: Saturday, 12 June 2010, 19:05 PM
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by MDYoungblood » Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 15:48 PM

Try to get the lowest SWR on channel 19/20 then balance out the SWR on channel 1 and 40. Looking at the pics you might want to be a little farther away from the antenna. Kudos on the setup. BTW, who's chair did you use?

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage


"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment


Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department



User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 16:03 PM

MDYoungblood wrote:
Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 15:48 PM
Try to get the lowest SWR on channel 19/20 then balance out the SWR on channel 1 and 40. Looking at the pics you might want to be a little farther away from the antenna. Kudos on the setup. BTW, who's chair did you use?

3's

Greg
I was wondering about that. Thought the radio might be too close. And the chair, that's my girls. And she is NOT happy about it. I am surprised I don't have a fork in my rear end.
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln



User avatar
Trapper444
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 81
Joined: Saturday, 04 November 2017, 17:28 PM
Radio: Ranger base 2995
Antenna: I Max 2000
Name: Len
Location: CT

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Trapper444 » Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 16:59 PM

Lol, get er on the roof if you u can.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
JOHN 14:6
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER



User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 17:36 PM

Trapper444 wrote:
Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 16:59 PM
Lol, get er on the roof if you u can.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Trust me,as soon as the snow is gone. It's up. I lover the radio world. But I am not taking a 2 story fall for that.
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln



User avatar
Bobcat
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Posts: 126
Joined: Wednesday, 17 January 2007, 9:02 AM
Name: Bob
Location: Deer Park, TX

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Bobcat » Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 18:54 PM

You may just encourage me to get my A-99 back up. Only.... I have to figure out how high I can go, on what type of mast and NOT have to use guy wires. In the first place my yard isn't big enough and in the second where I want to put it is all the way to one side of the house and the city would take a dim view of me anchoring guy wires in the middle of Pasadena Blvd!!!!

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image

User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 19:11 PM

Bobcat wrote:
Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 18:54 PM
You may just encourage me to get my A-99 back up. Only.... I have to figure out how high I can go, on what type of mast and NOT have to use guy wires. In the first place my yard isn't big enough and in the second where I want to put it is all the way to one side of the house and the city would take a dim view of me anchoring guy wires in the middle of Pasadena Blvd!!!!

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
Isn't the I max200 a better one. I just finished running coax through my basement. Will run it through a spot where my internet and satellite come in. But my new problem is. I only have 50 ft. So I guess I'll have to use a barrel conn. and run more cable from it. I guess.I do have more cable , but it's cut, and I'm not sure if I can just splice it back together. Google says yes.
I'll sleep on it. That's why I keep pen and paper at my bed.
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln



User avatar
Bobcat
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Posts: 126
Joined: Wednesday, 17 January 2007, 9:02 AM
Name: Bob
Location: Deer Park, TX

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Bobcat » Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 19:56 PM

I believe the IMAX is a probably a better antenna but my son bought and gave me this one... may be silly but this is all a little sentimental! My father-in-law got me slobbering over CB back in the mid 70s, I got into on a minimal basis... in fact had one in my vehicles all the way up to late 2009. Along that path, I managed to get my son Tim interested in CB to where he got a 102" whip and I gave him a Grant XL. Then later, I got interested in getting my technician ticket so I started studying. He got a load of that and HE started studying..... I got mine in the summer of 2015, he got his a little less than a year later (work got in the way!). But along the way.... Tim got me that A-99 so I'd have a base antenna back at the old house.... we moved... it never has gone back up. SO, in the end, I have radios to fix, an antenna to put up.... I will get there.

Psssssssst.... you asleep yet.... after all that????

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image

User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 20:41 PM

That's cool. Yeah, it's funny. I don't even have mine mounted on the roof yet. And I'm already thinking about a 10 meter radio.
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln



User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Friday, 19 January 2018, 10:12 AM

Just to let you all know. The Pat-12 has been taken down. Only because I was having no luck getting it in tune. I only have 2 coax cables, a 3ft and a 50ft. Had it hooked up with the 3 ft cable. And I guess that might of been too close to the radio. So what I have done for now. I went back to my 4 ft Firestick. Removed the 4 ft section, and replaced it with the 6 ft section from the pat-12. I have it right in front of my front window. Seems to work. Was listening to some locals. At least I think they were. But they could not here me. Now my swr is between 1.3 and 1.5 So I'll keep playing around and see what happens. And is it ok to splice coax back together? My 50 ft cable has been cut. I also need to feed it through a hole in the side of my home. And it wont fit with the connector on.
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln



User avatar
Bobcat
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Posts: 126
Joined: Wednesday, 17 January 2007, 9:02 AM
Name: Bob
Location: Deer Park, TX

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Bobcat » Friday, 19 January 2018, 10:23 AM

I've always heard that if you cut it.... it is better to put ends on and use a wall plate/barrel connector on each side... I don't think you can just twist it and tape it. The reflections in the cable would likely give you trouble....

You could always cut one end off, fish it through, and put a PL-259 on when you get it inside .....

User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Friday, 19 January 2018, 10:33 AM

Bobcat wrote:
Friday, 19 January 2018, 10:23 AM
I've always heard that if you cut it.... it is better to put ends on and use a wall plate/barrel connector on each side... I don't think you can just twist it and tape it. The reflections in the cable would likely give you trouble....

You could always cut one end off, fish it through, and put a PL-259 on when you get it inside .....
That's probably what I'm going to do. But that depends on if there's any tools required. Don't want to have to go and buy anything that I'll only use once. I could buy the tools, use them, and then return them. But that wouldn't be honest. Would it
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln



User avatar
Bobcat
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Posts: 126
Joined: Wednesday, 17 January 2007, 9:02 AM
Name: Bob
Location: Deer Park, TX

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Bobcat » Friday, 19 January 2018, 10:37 AM

I'm NOT trying to step on toes, I really don't know....

Have you put a Pl-259 on before ? It really isn't that hard and only requires a soldering iron, some cutters and a sharp utility knife or I use a single edge razor blade....

User avatar
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Posts: 230
Joined: Wednesday, 11 May 2016, 7:17 AM
Name: jon
Cell Phone: 5183353857

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by jon6667 » Friday, 19 January 2018, 10:57 AM

that is the reason the pat 12 is in the closet never could get a good swr. guess ill get a imax.

User avatar
Bobcat
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Posts: 126
Joined: Wednesday, 17 January 2007, 9:02 AM
Name: Bob
Location: Deer Park, TX

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Bobcat » Friday, 19 January 2018, 11:14 AM

In case anybody finds it handy....

An average video from YouTube on installing a PL-259

User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Friday, 19 January 2018, 11:52 AM

Bobcat wrote:
Friday, 19 January 2018, 10:37 AM
I'm NOT trying to step on toes, I really don't know....

Have you put a Pl-259 on before ? It really isn't that hard and only requires a soldering iron, some cutters and a sharp utility knife or I use a single edge razor blade....
No never have put one on. I don't see it being anything difficult. But I just don't have access to a iron. I still have to look closer at my junction box outside. See where everything comes in at exactly.
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln



User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Friday, 19 January 2018, 11:57 AM

jon6667 wrote:
Friday, 19 January 2018, 10:57 AM
that is the reason the pat 12 is in the closet never could get a good swr. guess ill get a imax.
I know people here that use it. So it's not the Pat-12 . In my case, I had it in my house. That's probably like driving a top of the line ferrari in the city. I guarantee once I get it outside. It'll be a whole different ballgame.
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln



User avatar
Trapper444
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 81
Joined: Saturday, 04 November 2017, 17:28 PM
Radio: Ranger base 2995
Antenna: I Max 2000
Name: Len
Location: CT

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Trapper444 » Friday, 19 January 2018, 21:37 PM

For sure, even when it’s dry, be careful. We make our living on ladders and roofs. As soon as the snow melted after this last storm we were at it.
I wish you were closer as I’d help ya get that antenna up.
With the hole in the wall, if you ever get a new coax and need to snake it through, can you just make the hole bigger?
Is it wood or cement?
Beachbum24 wrote:
Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 17:36 PM
Trapper444 wrote:
Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 16:59 PM
Lol, get er on the roof if you u can.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Trust me,as soon as the snow is gone. It's up. I lover the radio world. But I am not taking a 2 story fall for that.
[ Post made via iPad ] Image
JOHN 14:6
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER



User avatar
Trapper444
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 81
Joined: Saturday, 04 November 2017, 17:28 PM
Radio: Ranger base 2995
Antenna: I Max 2000
Name: Len
Location: CT

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Trapper444 » Friday, 19 January 2018, 21:40 PM

jon6667 wrote:
Friday, 19 January 2018, 10:57 AM
that is the reason the pat 12 is in the closet never could get a good swr. guess ill get a imax.
My IMax is about 28’ at the base of the antenna and man does it talk. Really happy with it.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
JOHN 14:6
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER



User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Friday, 19 January 2018, 21:49 PM

Trapper444 wrote:
Friday, 19 January 2018, 21:37 PM
For sure, even when it’s dry, be careful. We make our living on ladders and roofs. As soon as the snow melted after this last storm we were at it.
I wish you were closer as I’d help ya get that antenna up.
With the hole in the wall, if you ever get a new coax and need to snake it through, can you just make the hole bigger?
Is it wood or cement?
Beachbum24 wrote:
Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 17:36 PM
Trapper444 wrote:
Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 16:59 PM
Lol, get er on the roof if you u can.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Trust me,as soon as the snow is gone. It's up. I lover the radio world. But I am not taking a 2 story fall for that.
[ Post made via iPad ] Image
It's just above the cement foundation. And your not that far away. Connecticut to Chicago,Il. If you can Help with the antenna. I can throw some cash your way. Plus, a lot of things to do here
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln



User avatar
Trapper444
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 81
Joined: Saturday, 04 November 2017, 17:28 PM
Radio: Ranger base 2995
Antenna: I Max 2000
Name: Len
Location: CT

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Trapper444 » Saturday, 20 January 2018, 9:55 AM

You right! its only about 800 miles as the crow flys. Road trip!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
JOHN 14:6
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER



User avatar
Beachbum24
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 54
Joined: Saturday, 06 January 2018, 20:23 PM
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Antenna: Procomm PAT-12
Name: Greg
Cell Phone: 331-200-0775
Location: The land of Lincoln

Re: Indoor Pat-12 Antenna

Post by Beachbum24 » Saturday, 20 January 2018, 12:27 PM

Trapper444 wrote:
Saturday, 20 January 2018, 9:55 AM
You right! its only about 800 miles as the crow flys. Road trip!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
I'll fire up the grill. What kind of beer you like :biggrin:
Image

"822" Were alive and Kicking.
From the land of Lincoln




Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests