Icom 7300 from Japan

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
KP68
Donor
Donor

Icom 7300 from Japan

Post by KP68 »

Good day all! A friend of mine just received his brand new Icom 7300 from Japan. Does anyone know what the differences are between the US version and the Japan version? Any information I will pass along to him. Thanks fellas!
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Other than language (menu can change it to English) I don't think there is much of a difference but the Japan radio won't get 4M (70mhz) band. I'm not sure if the TX/RX mod to open the radio will add that, think it is a different logic chip. I believe that's it!

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
KP68
Donor
Donor

Post by KP68 »

Thanks Greg! I'll pass that info along. Much appreciated!

Post Merge Complete

Added 2 months 20 days 22 hours 45 minutes 21 seconds after previous.
Almost for got! My friend shipped the radio to me and a difference I noticed was that there were 5 locked out portions in the 80 meter band. 3.581-3.598, 3.613-3.661, 3.688-3.701, 3.717-3.744, 3.771-3.790 I wish the radio was still with me so I could re-check but I'm pretty sure there was 1 portion of the 40 meter band locked out and 1 portion of the 160 meter band locked out. I am not sure if it is supposed to be like that, but that is what I observed. Unfortunately he did not heed my advice when I told him, do not touch anything in the radio (attempt the MARS mod) until you have gone through everything to verify that it is functioning correctly and as it should from the manufacturer!! Well, long story short, he sent the radio to me so I could re-install the surface mount diodes lol. Before and after installing the diodes, those were the locked out frequencies.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hey, I forgot about this post too. Good info on the locked out portions but I think that could be rectified by flashing the bias to the USA version. I would have thought the mod would have added anything that was different.

3’s

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor

Post by De_Wildfire »

I have an Elecraft and I'm a MARS member. I emailed the company about it and they sent me a link in my email once they verified my call sign and the firmware opened up my radio. The radio companies have evolved and some of them are doing special firmware updates to go out of band
KP68
Donor
Donor

Post by KP68 »

Oh very cool on the MARS member! Ya, hopefully times will continue to change as far as what equipment can be used out of band (11 meters wink wink lol). Technically it's illegal to operate a HAM radio on 11meters but that has always sounded absurd to me. I guess the power output is what they are concerned with. I mean what else could it be? A typical CB radio can transmit a wider bandwidth than the ICOM 7300. As a licensed operator I should be able to go on 11 meters and reduce power. Just like any other HAM band, obey the rules. That's it! Would people rather have somebody near them transmitting on 11 meters on a tweaked and peaked hacked up CB radio or something like ICOM7300 clean, spot on frequency, and sounds great? I'm all for anyone who wants to put forth the effort ($$$$$) to use high quality equipment on 11 meters. Oh man, sorry for the ramble here De_Wildfire! lol. Anyhow, once again that's cool about being a MARS member. From what I hear you have to jump through a lot hoops to get it!
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor

Post by De_Wildfire »

KF68....You are right. I have to jump through hoops, certain amount of hours a year, getting the computer to talk to the radio and sending messages on nets and exercises. I bought 746 Pro for portable use that was been sitting in a storage unit for the longest time. I had problems with the screen light and menu functions and could not get it to work. I did a master reset and the radio worked like it was brand new. No problems. I don't know if a master reset would work on the 7300 unlocking the channels or not but I will throw it out there. I didn't have to go into the service menu but it was a combination of buttons pushed at the same time. I think there is service menu on the 7300.

Regarding 11 meters, I have a separate station with different radios I use legally but my favorite one I use on channel 38 LSB is the Uniden Washington. I don't run a foot warmer or play on the funny channels. If there is an issue on the licensed bands that may not be any fault of my own and I happen get a work order from the Funny Candy Company, at least everything is sparkling over here including the separate 11 meter station on the another table.
KP68
Donor
Donor

Post by KP68 »

Very cool about 2 separate stations. Man, it's been a while since my friends Icom was up here. I wish I would have done a video on it. I do remember that it did have a different diode layout on the PCBA as far as which were placed and which were omitted so I doubt a reset would have done the trick. Darn, that would have made a cool video. Anyhow, cool to hear you play with both HAM and CB. I know some HAMS that thumb their nose at CB and wouldn't be caught dead on it. Me personally, I don't want some of it, I want all of that wonderful 3 thru 30MHz!
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor

Post by De_Wildfire »

KP68, I agree. I love all the 3-30mhz bands, the rare DX island, contests and being in the contest club. I am not like those who throw their noses upon the air at CB. CB is my first love and it will always be. If it wasn't for the CB hobby at first, I wouldn't be enjoying all the bands and having a blast. Sometimes us locals will come down to channel 38LSB from the ham bands just to chat and have fun. If there is a repeater net and we share radio stories, I say it loud and proud that if it wasn't for 11 meters, I wouldn't be on the other bands to begin with. 11 meters is my roots I am very happy to have started there. I had some crazy CB radio stories back in the day and I would do it all over again.