Uniden PC122XL Questions

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
DXJ
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Uniden PC122XL Questions

Post by DXJ »

I have a Uniden PC122XL in my Jeep XJ. Using a Wilson magnet mount 5000 on the center of the roof. The radio just quit working.

It makes a quick crackle noise when I turn it on but then silence. The numbers light up and I can change channels, but no sound at all. I was fiddling with it and it worked as expected for a minute but then it went silent again. I checked all external things such as power, mic, and antenna, but it feels internal. And yes squelch is turned fully counterclockwise. So I opened it up hoping to find something loose or a sketchy solder spot. There are no obviously poor connections. What do you think I should be looking at being most likely? Also, what is this mess? I've never seen this before. I'm refering to the cream colored goo in the left of the pic. It is solid so it's not really goo anymore. That can't be normal right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
295 antenna
Verified

Post by 295 antenna »

Could be a power regulator, I had something similar with my 148
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
Critter98
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Critter98 »

That board is exactly the same as my TRC-453. I lost my AM tx but still have U/L SSB. I'm currently waiting on a new AM regulator which is on the back right hand side. The one there is green and is a Toshiba PNP 2SA1012. I'm going to try a TIP36G and see what that does. That mess is wax, my radio has the same. Its not hurting anything so just leave it.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Don't forget to check the board for cold solder joints, Biggest cause of radio failure in my past experiences.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department