Fav Antenna

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.

Which antenna do you prefer

Wilson 1000
20%
Wilson 5000
26%
102"
23%
MR. Coily
3%
Predator 10K
20%
monkey made
5%
stargun
1%
55 antennas
2%
bozo made
1%

Total votes: 877

Working Cowboy

Post by Working Cowboy »

Why would any one give you **Censored** about that snow man?
For one; all of us at one time or another got suckered into a bad purchase on our radio or anntena. You will learn, Just Kidding

I used to run a 29LTD classic and the same antenna you run and it worked very well. As long as you are running a duck radio with no power behind it. It really is a good set up. They sound good and have great ears. Nothing wrong with that.

Post by 231 »

JJD, all the tuning info' is good. But I must have missed the TX/RX difference it made over the 102" whip. :-? My Tiger is flat SWR from 26.5150-27.9950 + and out performed both TX/RX to the 102" Whip hands down (also posted in another thread). I'm leary of investing $100 in another antenna that barely beats the 102" whip.

And Falcon, I don't mind the 102" whip...it just isn't my favorite. Why would it be when I know for a fact there are better performers out there? Just because it looks good in theory, doesn't mean it's fact.

;)
5H Outlaw

Post by 5H Outlaw »

It's not in the poll, but my favorite so far is a K-40 with a mag mount. Not saying it out performs anything else, but for my application it's the cats *ss. Low swr all over the channels and a quarer turn spins it off for the car wash or garage. Keep in mind that all I've ever had before this was twin sticks on the big trucks and a Cobra mag and a Max Rad.
I'd like to try a 10K or Monkey Made one day, but 'til then the K 40 is gonna be just fine.
Falkon MX-5

Post by Falkon MX-5 »

I totally agree, especially for mobile, I like the 10k and the coily.

I like the 102" whip for just being a regular old antenna. I don't run any mobile, so it's pretty much what I use. If there's a strong wind, I can watch my SWRs jump up and down as the whips move in the wind. For mobile, solid, wide bandwidth antennas would be great, and that's why the 10k is great! I just wouldn't run it as a base simply because it's a loaded coil antenna. Why have any dB loss when you can have none?
231 wrote:JJD, all the tuning info' is good. But I must have missed the TX/RX difference it made over the 102" whip. :-? My Tiger is flat SWR from 26.5150-27.9950 + and out performed both TX/RX to the 102" Whip hands down (also posted in another thread). I'm leary of investing $100 in another antenna that barely beats the 102" whip.

And Falcon, I don't mind the 102" whip...it just isn't my favorite. Why would it be when I know for a fact there are better performers out there? Just because it looks good in theory, doesn't mean it's fact.

;)
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

231 wrote:JJD, all the tuning info' is good. But I must have missed the TX/RX difference it made over the 102" whip. :-? My Tiger is flat SWR from 26.5150-27.9950 + and out performed both TX/RX to the 102" Whip hands down (also posted in another thread). I'm leary of investing $100 in another antenna that barely beats the 102" whip.

;)
I'll have to go back when I have some time, and check the TX/RX differences between the 102" and the 10K...been over a year since I did those comparisons...

As for spending $100 for a 10K...Thats just not so, unless someone takes you to the cleaner's! Clay's sells them for under $60, and so does John's Cb. Cant give the web address here for Clays, because it will get censored out...

Now although I have yet to do a install, where I couldn't get a 10K to tune better than any other antenna, I have herd of some guys that didn't have very much luck with them...Not sure why, unless they were trying to mount the 10K in a spot that just wasn't the right place for the antenna to begin with...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post by 231 »

jessejamesdallas wrote:I'll have to go back when I have some time, and check the TX/RX differences between the 102" and the 10K...been over a year since I did those comparisons...

As for spending $100 for a 10K...Thats just not so, unless someone takes you to the cleaner's! Clay's sells them for under $60, and so does John's Cb. Cant give the web address here for Clays, because it will get censored out...

Now although I have yet to do a install, where I couldn't get a 10K to tune better than any other antenna, I have herd of some guys that didn't have very much luck with them...Not sure why, unless they were trying to mount the 10K in a spot that just wasn't the right place for the antenna to begin with...
Very cool! Thank you. :Peace!:
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

THUMPER wrote:send them a pm with the web site :Peace!:
Was over there at Clays about a week or so ago, and said something to them about it already....But they get more business from "word of mouth" and the Freeway, than they do from the Internet. So they do most of their advertising up and down the freeway on billboards...Plus, when your the only real CB shop within a 100 miles or better...guess you don't need much advertising! :wink:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Ashton

Re: Fav Antenna

Post by Ashton »

LordDragr wrote:I'm trying to find a new antenna for my mobile so I figured this would be a good way to choose. The choices are ones that I might go with but not sure yet.
Has anyone heard of this antenna( SATURN Base Antenna SM-100)
BigBopper

Post by BigBopper »

yea, they work when you need a small antenna, my buddy udes one on the base and he talks to me all the time
Ashton

Post by Ashton »

BigBopper wrote:yea, they work when you need a small antenna, my buddy udes one on the base and he talks to me all the time

Sounds like just what the Dr called for
Maverick
Donor
Donor

Post by Maverick »

It is Definitely a 10K world!

I've used quite a few antennas, fiberglass, 102" whip, $20 truck stop antennas, etc., and the 10k performs best hands down! I've never had an antenna before that does between 1.0-1.1 VSWR all the time!
Catch ya' Later Modulator!
ToolBox
Donor
Donor
Radio: SWP General Lee

Post by ToolBox »

Can the 10k be put on a spring or is the wind drag to much...??

I like the 102" because it has the 6" spring and can handle low hung limbs etc without being torn off.....

I am getting 1.0-1.1 SWR with mine...
Mike (RajinCajun)
Handle- Toolbox
70 Bronco, 03 F-450
www.BigCountryOff-Road.com
My Install http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/ohv/album359
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

WHAT KIND OF VEHICLE IS THIS ANTENNA GOING ON AND WHERE TO BE MOUNTED IS UNDECIDED

PENDING WHAT YOU PLAN TO USE SETUP FOR.

GIVE ME A PM

I HAVE A FEW 10KS LAYING AROUND
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

ToolBox wrote:Can the 10k be put on a spring or is the wind drag to much...??

I like the 102" because it has the 6" spring and can handle low hung limbs etc without being torn off.....

I am getting 1.0-1.1 SWR with mine...
NO! If you put a Predator 10K, or anyother Large Coil Type antenna on a spring, the wind drag would be so bad, all it would do, is flop around like a fish out of water! :shock:

Springs only work on "stick type" antennas....
Stroker

Post by Stroker »

dave made rod from god... 1/2 wave killer..
43glr187

Post by 43glr187 »

i still rather home brew 9ft stainless steel kinda ironic considering its really 8ft 7inch's lawl
Skater229
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Skater229 »

55 r6's... Don't they look great...

mopar2ya
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by mopar2ya »

The new truck is lookin' good Skater!
Skater229
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Skater229 »

mopar2ya wrote:The new truck is lookin' good Skater!
Thanks... did you see the install pics? Got a few other things that will be done, and should be finished up in the next few months...

Skater
mopar2ya
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by mopar2ya »

No, I didn't. I will have to see that! I will peruse your forum now!
mopar2ya
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by mopar2ya »

Hmm. Didn't find them there. Help me out bro!
Skater229
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Skater229 »

mopar2ya wrote:Hmm. Didn't find them there. Help me out bro!
http://www.cbradiotalk.com/vi ... php?t=7639

There ya go...
Skater
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: 316
Antenna: Wilson 5K
Radio: RCI 2950 and IC-7000

Post by 316 »

It appears to be a 10K world
Lifted2x4

Post by Lifted2x4 »

I like my 102" whip.
clutch
Donor
Donor

Post by clutch »

bought a hustler and totally dominated my monkey made keyed up and got a 26 mile radio check nice