farad capacitors & benifits..

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
Madhadder1558

farad capacitors & benifits..

Post by Madhadder1558 »

I Was curious how much help farad capacitors would acutally be?? & the max farad cap you could run?
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

1-2 ferod caps are great for sub woofers that hit then recharge. For an amp it would take the surge off when you key up but not much more.

The larger the size the more power stored up for use. You can run as large a one as you can afford. If you key up and draw down your electrical system then you realy need to upgrade your alt or batt.
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

Assuming your trying to use it for a cb amp.........
You can run as many farads as your wallet will allow. I use a 50 farad in the trunk. Most dont have a need for big caps. Where they come in handy is when your running a fairly good sized amp, a good distance away from the main power source. Example, your amps in the trunk, but your wire runs all the way to the battery.
Caps supply the amp power right away, and charge super fast. Bringing the "juice" right to the amp, instead of it traveling from the front of the car all the way to the back.
However many, many times I see ones hook caps up wrong. They are NOT being used for stereo amps, and get wired in using a "T" What I mean is your wire comes from the battery into a "T" connector. Your amp, will be one one side of the output of the "T" and the Cap will be hooked up to the other. Since when we talk we dont go boom-boom-boom like a sub amp, the "T" will allow the cap to have more time to recharge.
While caps arent always needed, they never hurt when hooked up right! Just make sure you never short it, if you do it maybe hard to type with 3 fingers. LOL
Madhadder1558

Post by Madhadder1558 »

thanks, for info,
I will be putting everything in my trucks toolbox this go around. 2 optima batteries, a 2x4 & the farad cap..
I will be charging it all on its own 200 amp alternator..
I was looking at ebay at lower farad but I have a 20 farad in the attic from my boom boom days & just wanted to make sure I could use it..

& thanks for the info on the T hook up.. I would have just wired it in & out in between battery & amp.. guess that might have made a big boom huh...lol
KEEP-IT-REAL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by KEEP-IT-REAL »

A farad Capacitor will not work for a CB amp. As soon as you key up that mic the cap discharges. You either need a bigger alternator or a motor maul. I don't care if you running a 3pill and have a 100 farad cap. It won't work. P.S. the money you spent on a couple caps you could have done it right a gotthe alternator.
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

Well thats not really true, a cap helps alot. It charges and discharges quickly. When wired right a cap takes alot of load off a charging system. If the amps far away from the alt, then a cap takes the surge off the system, and a big cap does that well. I've seen alot of guys systems benefit greatly from caps.
Madhadder1558

Post by Madhadder1558 »

:shock:

aints gots no $$ in it anyways... already hads it... :wink:,
gots my 200 amp alt & 2 optima batterys off UPS yesterday..
I just wanted to make sure I could but it in there too..
if nothing else, it'll be a really cool looking volt/amp meter, that'll make it all glow blue when I open the tool box..lol

Done seen way to many people running them, for them not to any benefit at all....
once I gets it all here & ready to install.. will test it with & with out..

Peace!
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

You'll see more of a benefit in the electrical system then the watt meter. However I did have a customer in n. az that ran a 12 pill I built for him. He could only get 1800 out of the box, driven, and added a 25 farad cap, saw about 2 grand. He could of gotten a little more, but well he had a wiring issue.
Madhadder1558

Post by Madhadder1558 »

yea,
I don't expect to see that much of a change in the watts department,
but I do expect to see a less stressful impact on the electrical system all together.....
kinda like a lower gear sort of speak... quicker on take off..
less initial drop in volt/amps from the alt/batteries on key down..
thus producing a more steady flow. making everything a little smoother...
we will see,
I will hook my meters up at various points thru out the system checking amps/volts. and try to get a good reivew,,